From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lakeshore 330 temperature controller is not found when scanning in MAX

Hello all,

I have different instruments connected trough GPIB, including a Lakeshore 335, and everything worked fine. The problem came when we recently bought an old model (330). The 'scan for instruments' does not find it, even when using all the same cables as the model that does work. The manual of this old model http://www.lakeshore.com/ObsoleteAndResearchDocs/330_Manual.pdf is quite outdated and I only find information on how to connect it to LabVIEW, which I don't use. I tried changing the MAX GPIB interface properties to match the ones specified for the old version in the manual, but I am not sure if the EOS byte 0AH correlates with number 10. I tried different numbers and nothing changes. Does anyone have any ideas on why it doesn't find it? Anything will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Laia 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,789 Views)

Hi NterLab,

The EOS byte 0x0A (which is the same as 0AH) is the Hex value for a Linefeed Constant. Can you describe where the number 10 is coming from?

I’ve attached a link to some common troubleshooting steps. Let me know what on this list you’ve tried so far.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/72FAD7156202DDF9862568900048F006?OpenDocument

Can you attach a screen shot of where you’re changing the MAX GPIB interface properties? This might help lead to a change that needs to be made.

Do you have any other devices connected when troubleshooting this device?

Message 2 of 11
(4,767 Views)

Dear Matt,

Thank you so much for you reply. I attach my MAX screenshot. The byte I though 0 was 00H but if 0 is 0AH then I change it to 0, but it still does not work. I have 5 other devices connected, all work fine. The Lakeshore 330 is the only one that does not appear. Its address is 12, which no other instrument has. I let the device off the whole night, but nothing changed. I also checked the NiVisaTulip.dll

This is what I typed in interactive control and the error it gives me

ibfind gpib12

[8000] ( err )

error: EDVR (0xe0140025)

I tried to use ipdev instead but I do not know most of the parameters it asks; except for the following (extracted from the manual)

Primary GPIB Address ........→12

Secondary GPIB Address ...... NONE

Timeout setting ............. 10sec

Serial Poll Timeout ......... 1sec

Terminate Read on EOS ....... Yes

Set EOI with EOS on Writes .. Yes

Type of compare on EOS ...... 7-Bit

EOS byte .................... 0Ah

Send EOI at end of Write .... Yes

Enable Repeat Addressing .... Yes

If you can please tell me what should I type after ipdev, that would be very helpful.

Thank you again for your help,

Laia. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,762 Views)

Screenshot here

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,757 Views)

From my understanding of ibfind gpib, this initiates communication with the GPIB controller, not the device you’re trying to find. I’d recommend following the steps in the link below to see if you can find lakeshore 330.

http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/max/ibic.htm

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,726 Views)

Dear Matt,

I have followed all the steps and nothing finds this instrument. I have tried different addresses, cables, and NI boards too, in all the cases, after using the interactive control, MAX sees all the instruments but the LakeShore 330. Do you have any other suggestion? I think that the NI integrated circuit may be broken but I don't know how to test it.  

Thank you, 

Laia. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,708 Views)

Hi Laia,

I’m not sure what you’re referring to when you say the NI integrated chip might be broken. Can you provide some context for this?

Have you used the front panel on the Lakeshore to verify the address and the termination character? Also, you said this was an old model, so have you tested it on its own to make sure it works?

Once you’ve verified the address, termination character, and operation of the Lakeshore, I remove all other devices and send some known commands to the device, something like MODE?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,682 Views)

Hi Matt,

I mean the NI chip inside the instrument. I think that something is wrong with the instrument. It may be the GPIB port that is broken, although everything looks normal and I don't know how to check it.

The instrument works properly when selecting the settings in the front panel, it controls the temperature well. Also, I tried different addresses (12, 15,18...), using the front panel, and I tried all the possible terminations. The termination options are 

CrLf Carriage Return, Line Feed

LfCr Line Feed, Carriage Return

Lf Line Feed

End No Terminator (EOI line set with last data byte if active)

Nothing works. 

If I try to connect using the interactive control (ibdev 0 12 0 13 1 0x140A) and ask it the address using  ibwrt "*idn?" it gives me an error (ENOL). Also, any other command like  ibwrt "*CLS" or  ibwrt "*MODE" give me the same error. 

Laia.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,673 Views)

Hi,

Have you thought about using the serial port?

Curt

Message 9 of 11
(4,667 Views)

Hi Curt, 

I don't have an adapter for the serial port, but you're right I should try that first...I am going to go buy one. Thank you!

Laia. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,658 Views)