From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lakeshore 218 serial com1 read Error -1073807339

Im using labview 2012 to communicate with a lakeshore 218 temperature moinitor via COM1. 

I am able to use MAX to send *IDN?\n to receive the id LSCI,MODEL218S,22A037...,30,3 0.

When I try to run a simple VI (basic_serial_write_and_read[1].vi) using visa on COM1 to do the same thing it returns the time out error. 

Thus far I have tried using command *IDN?   *IDN?\n and *IDN?\r\n

*IDN? dosent work in max, *IDN?\n and *IDN?\r\n both work in Max, nothing works in Visa.

How can I get this to work using visa?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,423 Views)

Change the display type on the String to Write to be '\' Codes Dispaly.  Then make sure there is a \n at the end.

In a normal display string, you are sending a literal '\' and 'n', not the End of Line termination that the monitor is looking for.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(5,419 Views)

I checked that,  there are no extra characters

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,336 Views)

Solved:

If I send a *RST before *IDN? everything works...*RST;*IDN?\n  is the first write string.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,318 Views)

this has been fixed probably, but to post for prosperity, i had the same issue with the \codes notenabled. The lakeshore uses half duplex and no flow control. My system i had to manually configure the serial port with baud 9600 7 data bits, 1 stop bit, odd parity and no flow control. I Changed the forward slash codes like above, and told it to read bytes available at port with the propert node. Now it actually gets along!

i am using labview 6.2. Results may not be typical! Hope it helps anyone else down the road.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,664 Views)