From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV serial examples do not work with serial over USB while HyperTerminal does

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a device with only one way to communicate - via serial over USB. With Hyperterminal it works as expected, but none of serial examples which come with LV gets any responce. When highlighting execution, Write function returns no error (but apparently sends nothing - no visible reaction from the device), and  then  Read function receives nothing (delay is more then sufficient, judging by experience with Hyperterminal). 

Would be grateful for any useful suggestion.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,258 Views)
When you use the basic example, are you including the \r\n that is part of the default text in the string control? That is a CR and LF and if you do not include them, then your command may not be correctly terminated.
Message 2 of 4
(3,252 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author j_rivilis

Indeed they were included; as example itself offers to send "*IDN?\r\n", \r\n were taken straight from there.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,241 Views)

You turned out to be right neverthless; one of the examples has string displayed in backslash mode and two others in normal mode; as I didn't suspect them to differ, I entered "\r\n" in those which had it in normal mode and they didn't send CR,LF. And I unfortunately concentrated on them and not on the one suggesting null modem  - the one with backslash mode. That one was working, but I  overlooked that.

Thanks a lot. This thread should rather be renamed "LV examples work..." ...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,227 Views)