Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCR meter control

I also have the same problem with initiating the list sweep.  The list is imported to the instrument but the list sweep is not performed.  Was this issue resolved? 
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 46
(4,779 Views)

Hi,

Can you also perform the test manually like Dennis suggested? Have you looked at the manual to see if the commands necessary are there?

Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 46
(4,753 Views)

Hi,

I don't believe the necessary commands are available. What I ended up doing was making my own "sweeps" by looping any frequencies and voltages myself.

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 46
(4,743 Views)

Thanks guys, I actually was able to find get the A4980 to perform the sweep via Labview but also discovered the list sweep is limited to 201 points.  For my application I needed a higher resolution, so i also ended up using a loop and the read function to perform my measurements.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 46
(4,737 Views)
Hi, im working with an Agilent 4980a and I was reading this threat and I would like to make tests with Labview. Can someone explain me how you plug the LCR meter to my computer and make labview to work with it? I downloaded the drivers availables from de Labview website, but when I run it trough the COM1 port nothing happens, I think there is no communication between my pc and e4980. Can someone explain me how to do it please? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 46
(4,529 Views)
As the download page states, the driver has not been written for RS-232 compatibility. The first thing you should do is confirm that you can program it with the serial port. I would recomend that you use a program such as Hyperterminal to do this. If it works, you can then modify the initialize function and add serial support. A good model to use is the 34401 driver that comes with LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 46
(4,518 Views)
Hi Dennis, thanks for the info. Im having another doubt: when I use the Agilent E4980 Read Measurement.vi, in the VISA resource name, I can choose only between COM1 and LPT1, so I really dont know wich one to choose. When I select LPT1 I get and error message telling me that there is no communication, and when I select COM1, no error message is display but nothing happens/change in my equipment. The same happens with the Read Measurements List Sweep.vi, Com1 and LPT1 are displayed as the VISA resource. Im kind of confuse :S. I downloaded the 34401 driver and the VISA resource names are the same COM1 and LPT1.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 46
(4,497 Views)

Hi Plexonite!, can you explain me how you plug the e4980 to your pc and make it all work? Im having troubles and your experience would be of great help! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 46
(4,496 Views)

Com1 is the serial port and lpt1 is the printer port. Those are the only available VISA resources on your computer, Unless you were to add a GPIB interface, the list will always stay the same, no matter what instrument. Simple as that.

As I said, you have to modify the E4980 driver before it will work with RS-232. The 34401 driver, which you did not have to download, has all of the code for serial support in the initialize function.

I also mentioned that you should use a program such as Hyperterminal to test the connection. You need to verfy the com port settings and you need to verify that you are using the correct type of cable.

Since the instrument driver supports USB/Ethernet/LXI communication, if the instrument has these connections, you should try those. 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 46
(4,484 Views)
Yes, actually I make tests using a c++ program trough a RJ-45 cable. But I wanted to use Labview. How can I modify the Labview program so it can communicate using that cable? or maybe usb? and not COM o LPT....THANKS!!!
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 46
(4,477 Views)