Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCR meter control

I have Agilent E4980A LCR meter. Does anyone have experience using this for CV measurements - or any LabView software for this type of measurements?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 46
(10,735 Views)
If you have LabVIEW 8.x, just go to the Instrument Driver Network and do a search for 4980. There's a driver available.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 46
(10,703 Views)

Hi,

I am trying to control the agilent E4980A LCR meter but I am having some trouble. I have downloaded the drivers and they seem to work OK. My problem arises when I try to run a sweep of say frequency. The labview program never seems to run the all the frequencies, just one. I am trying to dump everything into a text file with frequency, dc bias, dc source, primary parameter, and secondary parameter all stored in the file. Is there any guidance I could get? Thanks!

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 46
(10,357 Views)
If your program is trying to do a sweep and it's not working correctly, you need to post your VI. Can't see what is wrong without looking at the code.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 46
(10,353 Views)
Sorry! I attached the file. I know the list band is not set up correctly, but I was just trying to get it working. Also, does the list band actually limit the output? or just tell you if the output was not in the specified range? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 46
(10,350 Views)
Have you run the example called Agilent E4980 Read Measurement List Sweep? Open the exaple finder and Browse to Hardware Input and Output>Instrument Drivers>LabVIEW Plug and Play.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 46
(10,338 Views)
Yes, I have. It will set-up the list just fine. All the frequencies get stored into the list, but it will not then run through the list. It doesn't even look at it. It always runs at 1KHz. How do I make it run through the list?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46
(10,335 Views)

It's been a long time since I did anything with the meter and I don't have one anymore. Once the sweep points and list bands are loaded, can you perform the test manually. For that matter, if you do everything manually, does the test run like you expect?

Instrument specific questions might get an answer here from someone with current experience but you should also check with Agilent, especially if you can't do the test manually.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46
(10,332 Views)

Yes I can do it manually. Once I set the list up with the program I can make it run through the list by doing it manually. However, I would like to do this via labview if possible. Thanks for you help.

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46
(10,329 Views)

Hello Chris,

One option is for you to look at the programming manual for the instrument and see what command or series of commands need to be sent to make the instrument go through the list.  You can then compare those commands to what is being sent by the LabVIEW Instrument Driver.  If they differ, you can create a VI that sends the correct commands and see if that takes care of the issue.  If that does resolve the issue, you can explain your fix and then NI can update the released instrument driver.

Cheers,

NathanT

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 46
(10,307 Views)