From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kikusui PWX1500L Error Query

Hi there,

I'm experiencing an error when I try and run the example VIs for a Power Supply I want to control.

The instrument report error is -133, "Undefined header", I've looked in the instrument's manual and found;

"An error in the range [ -199, -100 ] indicates that an IEEE 488.2 syntax error has been detected by the instrument’s parser. The occurrence of any error in this class shall cause the Command Error (bit 5) in the event status register to be set."

The labview error code is -1074000000 and the example VIs were obtained from the instrument driver network;

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=52F46F728B235F89E05400144FFBB3...

Could I have some pointers on how a debug/problem solve this please. This is the first time I've experienced instrument errors with LabVIEW and I'm not sure where to begin.

Kind Regards,

Olly

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(3,313 Views)

Hi

The LabVIEW error just points that something went wrong when reading the next error.

In the picture I did not see -133 but -113

The -113 error says that the instrument did not understand the message.

Can you tell which example you used?

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(3,301 Views)

Apologies that was a typo, the error is -113. I used example "Kikusui PWX Series Output Setpoint and Measure.vi". And the error occurs in a sub.vi called "Error Query" 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(3,294 Views)

Hi

I downloaded the driver.

I saw that the first error query is in initialize.

Did that work well or is it in a later situation that the error is queried?

Anyhow if you run the program what visa resource name do you use? On a network this already can give problems.

But apparently you manage to get in contact with the instrument.

So what is the last message sent to the instrument that probably fails.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(3,286 Views)

Hi Albert,

The error does indeed occur in initialize. On further investigation the first error happens in the 'Query Instrument ID' case structure, I have attached a photo of the probe watch window and block diagram, if there is a better way of displaying this then please let me know.

With the possible reason; "The ID Query failed. This may mean that you selected the wrong instrument or your instrument did not respond. You may also be using a model that is not officially supported by this driver. If you are sure that you have selected the correct instrument and it is responding, try disabling the ID Query."

The instrument is connected via USB to my PC with resource name; USB0::0x0B3E::0x1024::SM002044::INSTR

Kind Regards,

Oliver

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,271 Views)

and is the instrument itself configured for USB?

officially it supports ethernet

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(3,266 Views)

Yes I've configured it for USB and have used a manufacturer sequencing program (Wavy for PWX) to confirm it can be controlled using this interface. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(3,264 Views)

Further to this point, I have reconfigured the instrument for lan (ethernet) and retried and the outcome is the same as with USB.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(3,261 Views)

So the system works with their own executable in USB.

In that case I would ask Kikusui what the resource name for the instrument should have been.

And for sure you have a low level driver on board for the Kikusui maybe they need some special naming.

Which version of VISA did you install? I hope an NI version but still which version?

I saw now that all interfaces may be used at the same time. I will not recommend to do so but this makes sure that a selection of interface at that side is not needed.

And it looks like your resource name is valid.

Did you specify the following?

USB connection

Use a standard USB cable to connect the PWX to the computer.

USB configuration

1.    In the CONFIG settings, set the emulation (CF22).

Normally, use the default value (CF22: nonE).

2.    Restart the PWX.

That should work with NI VISA 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(3,240 Views)

I have emailed Kikusui, we'll see what they say RE resource name

I have NI-VISA 18.5 installed, have been using a standard usb cable and configuring the PWX using the method you have described. I even redid everything this morning to be sure and still the same error is occurring.

I did check some of the vi's in the "Kikusui PWX Series.lvlib" Public folder and something interesting was happening;

I'd turn on the PWX, choose VISA resource name and hit run. And I would be hit with error code  -1073807346 with source; VISA Write in Kikusui PWX Series.lvlib:Enable Output.vi (depending which vi I chose of course). 

However if I click run again the error goes away and the vi executes as expected and opening addition vi from the same folder all seemed to work after this point, yet the examples ones still errored in the same way. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,231 Views)