Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keysight PNA GPIB not detected in NI MAX

I was using Keysight PNA N5225A with my old PC having Windows 7 through GPIB USB interface and everything was working fine. Recently I switched to new PC having Windows 7 and tried the same program. However with a new PC, it was not detecting the PNA GPIB interface. However after I installed the correct driver, it is showing in Windows device manager.

However, it is still now showing in NI MAX and hence I can not run the program as it does not show the resource name. When I checked with "Keysight Connection Expert", it is showing that the PNA is there with the VISA address GPIB0::16::INSTR.

I tried everything and tried installing all the updates but I still could not manage to see it in MAX. I also have NI-488.2 installed. With the same configuration, it is working perfectly fine with my old PC. Can you please help solve this problem? Is there any more driver I need to install?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,023 Views)

Hello Paritosh,

Please take a look at the document below which gives a list of common trouble shooting steps detecting GPIB devices.

Why Can't I Communicate with My GPIB Instrument: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A80DBFCCAC36EBDE862562C80058856E

How are you connecting your Keysight device to your computer? Are you using the GPIB-USB-HS+? If so, can you see this device in NI MAX. If you can, you may be able to right click on this and select "Scan for Instruments."

-Will.i.am10

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,991 Views)

I've had similar issues when using the Keysight GPIB-USB adapter, I saw it in connection expert then did not see it in MAX. I had to switch to NI USB-GPIB adapter and then MAX found it right away.

I followed this link and got it to work.. 

CLD | CTD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,985 Views)

Thank you for your suggestions. I checked the link but still couldn't find a solution. 

I am using GPIB-USB-HS+ but I cannot even see the device in MAX. However, I can see it in the device manager. 

Can you please suggest me some solution?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,968 Views)

I am willing to bet it's a problem with the installation of 488.2 or VISA ..  I would disconnect the device, uninstall 488.2, reboot, reinstall 488.2, reboot, plug in device and you should be good..

Unfortunately this seems like the problem..

CLD | CTD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,960 Views)

Dear Chris

Thank you for your reply. I did exactly as you said. During the process of reinstallation of 488.2, it notified me that the primary 488 has changed from Keysight 488 to NI 488.

But still it does not show on NI MAX. Can there be some conflict between Agilent's and NI's 488?

Can the problem be because I am using Agilent's GPIB USB cable? If so, how the same configuration is working on another computer?

Let me also clarify that the computer in which it is working has LabVIEW 2012 and now in new computer I have LabVIEW 2015.

Please help me.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,944 Views)

Paritosh,

I had the same problem, it did have to do with using the Agilent hardware, once I switched to NI hardware it worked fine. My colleague had it working on his machine but he didn't remember all the drivers he had to install from both NI and Keysight to make it work. This seems to be an issue with the incompatibility out of the box with these vendors.

CLD | CTD
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,916 Views)

I solved this problem in the following way...

a) Use the NI Measurement and Automation Explorer (NI-MAX). For version 3.1
and subsequent versions of NI-MAX, click on Tools > NI-VISA >
VISA Options…
b) Select the Passport for Tulip (NIVisaTulip.dll) check box. See Figure 10.
c) Click Save to save your settings, then exit NI-MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,149 Views)