From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keysight DAQ970A not found by NI MAX

The DAQ used to be recognized my MAX and found in Labview, but after a restart of Labview the DAQ disappeared from both NI Max and Labview but Keysights own software still works (BenchVue and Keysight connection expert). When I checked the device manager the DAQ shows up twice: Once as "DAQ970A" without a driver associated and once as a generic test and measurement device (IVI) with a driver associated, see below:

unnamed.png

I have tried removing and reinstalling the driver (KtDAQ970-IviC-x64_1.0.0.0) and the other Keysight control software (BenchVue and IO Libraries Suite). I have also tried the steps outlined in this knowledge article but it hasn't changed anything so far.

Any help or idea will be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(5,827 Views)

Hi mc5000,

Have you installed the IVI Driver LabVIEW? If not, try installing the IVI Driver from the following link: 
IVI Compliance Package Download - NI

Then you can use driver DAQ970A from keysight web
DAQ970 LabVIEW Driver for the Keysight Data Acquisition System | Keysight

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(5,792 Views)

@agusxxx27 wrote:

Hi mc5000,

Have you installed the IVI Driver LabVIEW? If not, try installing the IVI Driver from the following link: 
IVI Compliance Package Download - NI

Then you can use driver DAQ970A from keysight web
DAQ970 LabVIEW Driver for the Keysight Data Acquisition System | Keysight

Thank you for the input!

I don't think the IVI compliance package was installed, but unfortunately it did not help with the issue.

The Labview drivers from Keysight was already installed, but I tried repairing them after installing the IVI compliance package but the issue remains the same.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(5,778 Views)

@mc5000 wrote:

When I checked the device manager the DAQ shows up twice: Once as "DAQ970A" without a driver associated and once as a generic test and measurement device (IVI) with a driver associated, see below:

This sounds like the same problem I had with a Yokogawa Power Analyzer

Basically you have to install the driver so it shows up in Windows Device Manager  as a "Test and Measurement Device" and not  "DAQ970A".

Don't let Windows select the driver it thinks you need because it will chose the wrong one.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(5,746 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@mc5000 wrote:

When I checked the device manager the DAQ shows up twice: Once as "DAQ970A" without a driver associated and once as a generic test and measurement device (IVI) with a driver associated, see below:

This sounds like the same problem I had with a Yokogawa Power Analyzer

Basically you have to install the driver so it shows up in Windows Device Manager  as a "Test and Measurement Device" and not  "DAQ970A".

Don't let Windows select the driver it thinks you need because it will chose the wrong one.

The driver is installed. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver, choosing "update driver" and pointing the device manager to the install location of the driver (C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\KtDAQ970) but for some reason it just states that it could not find a driver at that location.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(5,724 Views)

I have the same issue as MC5000.  Was hoping someone has figured this out and just hasn't posted.

I am also unable to get the DAQ970 instrument to connect.  As an added bonus it won't let me connect my 34972A DAQ after adding the Keysight driver!  😱  Removed the Keysight driver and uninstalled and re-installed LabVIEW and the 34970 driver.  But LabVIEW still doesn't see the 34972A! 😵 I have an email in with Keysight asking what the "proper way" is to install their instrument.  I can now add - "Can you run the DAQ970 and 34970 on the same system?"🤔

If anyone has some insight into this problem, I would greatly appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(5,635 Views)

Well we have just bought 5 of the DAQ970 units to put in new test systems that used to use the 34970A or 34972A.

So I will be looking into this.

But from what I remember about using the 34970A or 34972A is you don't need to install anything from Agilent/Keysight to get it to work in LabVIEW.

But you DID have to install Agilent/Keysight "Connection Expert" for either to work with their Benchlink software. I never had a problem with the  Connection Expert (And their VISA) being installed as when installing NI-VISA it always said it detected another VISA installed and set it as "Secondary VISA" and NI-VISA as primary VISA

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(5,628 Views)

Hi RTSLVU - 

I installed the Keysight connection expert and it didn't find either instrument.  Device manager shows the unit under "Other devices" - please see mc5000's first post at the beginning of the thread.  I didn't get far enough into it to reset the VISA.  I just un-installed the Keysight driver and that's when I found the 34970 drive was no longer working.  Then I re-downloaded the 34970 driver through LabVIEW and it still didn't work.  That's when I un-installed and re-installed LabVIEW and then re-installed the 34970 driver - still no luck.

Unfortunately if we adopt the DAQ970 we will still need to use the 34970/34972 since we support a lot of legacy test systems that have them.  So if the DAQ970 is incompatible with their predecessors - that would be bad news for us.  In the meantime I'm trying to get some help from Keysight.  Will post any updates I have.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(5,618 Views)

Well "in theory" they should work together...

The 34970A was GPIB and RS-232 so there are no drivers needed for LabVIEW. 

The 34972A has USB and LXI (Ethernet) you still do not need any drivers for LabVEW.

The "LabVEW Drivers" for both of these instruments are nothing more than the SCPI commands wrapped up in LabVIEW VI's.

BTW: I found using USB to be problematic and use LXI exclusively on the 34972A

BUT as with any instrument you have to set them up in NI-MAX before LabVIEW will see them.

Also if Keysite Connection Expert can't find a 34970 on a Serial Port check the communication settings. The baud rate, party, bits, etc. must match the instrument. Make sure the instrument is set to use the same interface you are using (GPIB or Serial) 

Pretty much the same for the 34972A

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(5,615 Views)

I have to add that I may have been a little quick about saying "no drivers" are needed. There are no specific "3497xA communication drivers" needed. But you will need to install NI-VISA and NI-488.2 along with LabVIEW to use these instruments.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(5,563 Views)