Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with NI-VISA detecting ENET-GPIB/1000 resource on RHEL5

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am having trouble getting NI-VISA Interactive Control to recognize the resource and would appreciate any help. My goal is to communicate with the device through NI-VISA.

Configuration Details:

Controller: ENET-GPIB/1000

Device: Keithley 2600

NI488.2 version: 2.9.1

NI-VISA version: 5.4.1

I have installed the NI488.2 and verified communication to the device by using the "gpibexplorer" and querying "*IDN?". After installing NI-VISA and starting the VISA Interactive Control (NIvisaic) utility, an error is thrown with the following message:

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

I've also tried to manually add the resource using NI-VISA Configuration (visaconf) utility, but have not had any success. When adding the resource, I configured the IP Address and set the protocol to VXI-11 Protocol. After doing so, the VISA Interactive Control still shows the same error message. 

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,612 Views)

Hi Brandon,

Just to clarify, are you getting this error as the software is trying to launch? It will be very different if you can see the device in VISA Interactive Control vs. if the software errors at launch.

Cheers,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,565 Views)

Hi Ryan,

I am able to launch the utility and it seems to automatically search for resources for a bit. After some time, the error occurs and there are no resources listed. I am never able to see a device in VISA Interactive Control. 

-Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,562 Views)

Hi Brandon,

I have looked into this quite a bit, and I can't find any specific reason why this would happen. Could you try to reinstall your software and see if that fixes it?

If not, we reported a similar issue in CAR 375426, shown here:

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/14792/en/

It appears the issue was fixed in VISA 5.4. It might be worthwhile to try upgrading to that version to see if the patch works for your device as well.

Cheers,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,551 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon_G

Hi Brandon,

I made a mistake in my last post. It looks like the CAR issue is resolved by switching to VISA 5.1 or earlier, if that is an option for you.

Cheers,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,550 Views)

Hi Ryan,

I installed NI-VISA 5.0.0 and the VISA Interactive Control finds the resource. I am now able to communicate with my device. Thank you for your help.

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,548 Views)

Hi Brandon,

I'm glad I could help!

Cheers,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,531 Views)