Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it enough to have serial config in main vi or??

Hey

I am converting SR830 lock in amplifier from GPIB to serial config,for which i have added Visa in the main Vi.

With this when i run the vi,Query Instrument Id always fails.

So i disabled it and reading only the ID without checking if its right.When i do this,i get Error 1073807343.

I wanna know if i have to take the serial config even within the initiazi vi,if so how??

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,379 Views)

My guess is that you have a serial port configuration mismatch.  You should just use the Configure Serial Port instead of the VISA Open and make sure all of your settings match what the instrument has.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,376 Views)

I am using Configure Serial Port to which VISA OPEN is given along with other setting.This is done in main vi,should i do that in INitialize vi too,if so how??

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,370 Views)
Your initialize function should be setting the com parameters. No need to do it twice. Look at all of the other drivers that support GPIB and serial such as the 34401 that comes with LabVIEW. The initialize has a case structure that depends on the interface type.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,364 Views)

I have already refered 34401,it has only serial support not GPIB.

I added serail config to Initialize vi and removed it from main vi,even then it throws error.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,360 Views)
Nonsense. It has support for serial, GPIB, Ethernet, and USB. The only special case required is for serial. Do it the way all other drivers do it or make something up like you are doing now. You'll lose support for GPIB in your design. Silly to do that in case you decide to change instrument type. Why bother using VISA in that case?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,350 Views)
Just noticed your other threads on this subject. As previously told, the initialize function does NOT set the termination character for a write. Please don't ignore this essential point.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,344 Views)

Rude and totaly UNPROFESSIONAL.

1st understand what my question is and answer to it.What do u mean by "Why bother using VISA in that case? " am already using it.

it is silly that people who lack knowledge are answering to the client queries.

Let someone who has knowledge to solve this answer.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,340 Views)

Termination char is taken care.1st check in all the pics i have shared

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,338 Views)
I agree that you are rude and unprofessional. Since you have not paid any attention to the given answers and have no understanding of VISA, termination characters, and property nodes, spend a little time doing a little learning about them. I learned all of this many years ago so I don't understand why you would ignore what I've said but I'm done trying to help you.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,331 Views)