Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NI Spy failing to record some commands?

Hi,

We are using a third party software that controls instruments via GPIB interface. At some point, I was unable to run the software because of some errors. I tried to find the cause of the errors and I used NI Spy. I was able to see the commands sent to the instrument and the error response string from that instrument, but I could not see the command sent by the software that caused the error response from the instrument (a signal generator).

The error received was viStatusDesc(GPIB0::26::INSTR(0x00C72260),0xBFFC0002,"Unknown status value 0xBFFC0002") and the status error 0x3FFF0085).

After I discussed the problems with the developers of the program, I understood what I was doing wrong.

With my setup, the software was sending a command to the signal generator to set the frequency outside the instrument range (frequency was set too low). It is clear to me why the instrument raised the error. But why can't I see in the NI Spy file the command that caused the error? All the commands sent to the instrument seem valid to me.

If necessary, I can send the record of the NI Spy file. I am using NI Spy v2.5.

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,516 Views)

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your post.  NI-Spy will record every call made to a National Instruments hardware driver.  It should never miss a single driver call.  Please attach your Spy file and I will look at it.  Have a great day.

Regards,

Todd V.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
NI Prototyping Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,498 Views)

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for your reply. I would prefer to send the log file straight to you, since the data it contains belongs to the company . Unfortunately if I check your profile, I can't see your email address. As far as I am aware, you can't see my email address either. If you don't mind, please send me an email to nfieraru at gmail and I will reply to your email with the attached file.

Best regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,488 Views)

Message sent by mistake. I can't delete it

Message Edited by NickFi on 12-08-2008 05:10 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,488 Views)

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your response.  That is totally fine, however, I am unable to email you directly.  Please call in to 1-866-275-6964 to create a service request for this.  An Applications Engineer will be able to assist you from there.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Todd V.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
NI Prototyping Community
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,459 Views)