From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface PXI-4056 & PXI-4110

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

i'm working on a customer project. The goal is to port the functionality of an old hardware setup to a new hardware setup.

The old setup consists of the following components:

NI-6562

Agilent DMM

Agilent PSU

The new setup is a PXIe-1088 with PXIe-6570, PXI-4065, PXI-4110 and PXIe-8861.

I have several years experience in programming (primarily C++) but i'm new in the field of hardware. 

A requirement in this project is to maintain an existing application (MFC, C++) and to adapt the low level communication to the new hardware. The old setup uses the ni4882 Interface for communication with the Agilent components via GPIB. With the new DMM and PSU i can't use this ni4882 interface. After some days of research in NI documents i found the IVI compliance package.

Is it possible to realize nearly the same functionality using IVI driver instead of ni4882?

Regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(968 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StefanMeier

If you're looking at a Hardware Abstraction Layer concept - IVI drivers are an easy way to go. One caveat of the IVI driver is that it is limited in features that are common across the whole industry - for example, for DMM, it will have all the functions expected in a typical DMM and if your DMM has special functionalities there is no way to use them.

For 6570 - there is no IVI driver since it is a proprietary instrument and the IVI foundation doesn't have a category for that. For the DMM and PPS you can use IVI drivers.

If not, I would suggest you go with the NI driver dlls for the implementation.

https://www.ivifoundation.org/downloads/ivi_gsg_v_1.0.pdf

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 3
(936 Views)

Hello Santhosh,

thanks for your answer.

For the PXIe-6570 i'll use the NI-Digital Interface.

I'll take a closer look at the IVI driver. 

Regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(930 Views)