From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

... Instrument IO Assistant is not installed correctly.

Hello,

I am using LabView 7.1 Student Edition on Windows 2000. When I double click on Instrument I/O assistant in the block diagram, I get the following error :

"Measurement & Automation Explorer or the Instrument IO Assistant is not installed correctly. Please install these from LabVIEW Driver CD.".

Now, I assume that the driver CD is the one for NI 488.2. Our interface is an Agilent 82357A GPIB-USB connector and all its software is installed. I can send VISA commands to instruments connected to it using the Measurement & Automation Explorer (*IDN\n etc.).

I found a suggestion that I should uninstall and reinstall the Instrument IO Assistant from the LabVIEW CD and try again on ni.com. Done that - no good.

Measurement & Automation Explorer reports (under Software) that NI-488.2 (ver. 2.30) and NI-VISA (ver. 3.1) are installed. I have seen something like this error before - I installed LabVIEW first and the drivers later, and during the installation the installer kept complaining about missing drivers. However, I thought that when I installed them later, everything would be fine. Apparently, it isn't. Should I uninstall LabVIEW and VISA and 488.2, and reinstall, reversing the process ?

I do not know much about windows, but this is what a friend suggested. I am not sure if all that nonsense is needed.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(7,263 Views)
Hi
the order of installing is ok, Labview first and the IO driver cd's later.
I guess something went wrong during install, try to get the newest IO driver cd's.
The latest I know is the august 2006 version, you should be able to install these.
You can deinstall everything but I think if something went wrong during install, the deinstall is not guaranteed.
But the newest install can fix that.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(7,251 Views)
I just spent 2 hours removing everything from the system. Then installing NI488.2 with VISA 3.1, then Agilent IO libraries suite 14.2, and then finally labview. It still prompted me for a driver's CD - does it not know that NI VISA etc. are already installed ? Anyways, I just double clicked on Instrument I/O assistant and it again gives me the same error message. What do I do next ? Install the latest version of VISA on this version 7.1 Labview installation ? I have VISA 3.1. The latest is version 4.

At my wit's end.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(7,250 Views)
Hi
The problem is the IOlibrary from Agilent.
VISA works but the instrumentIO assistant only works with the NI-visa and that one does not work with the agilent gpib card.
So you are out of luck.
The instrument IO assistant needs a bit more hooks into the library and as far as I know these are not available in the agilent vidsa library.
Sorry.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(7,245 Views)
Thanks for the response.

I read somewhere on NI that version 14 of Agilent's IO libraries has to be used :

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F7C187DBF09EBE1186256F550065BD32

I tried that. The problem is unchanged. If a piece of equipment does not work with Labview, then I wonder how do they sell it as being compatible with Labview. Its basically a dud.

What interface boards does NI Visa work with ? If that is what we need to buy, we will.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(7,241 Views)
LabVIEW works with the agilent IOcard, it is just the IO assistant that I personally never use that does not work.
For the real work on gpib I use mostly the usb gpib version from NI
Any of NI's gpib cards (not the oldest ones before the AT-GPIB card) will work

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(7,237 Views)
Thanks for the response.

Does that mean that I cannot use any of the vendor supplied VIs with Labview if I do not use Instrument I/O Assistant ? I am very new to Labview, so its possible I am missing something.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(7,236 Views)
What you can try to do is to first install the agilent driver and then NI-VISA. Make sure you have the latest version of NI-VISA as earlier ones didn't play nicely with agilent's. From previous posts on the subject of agilent GPIB devices, I think you also have to enable the tulip passport in MAX (Tools>NI-VISA>VISA Options>Passports). Then you can trying re-installing the I/O) Assistant. I don't know if the assistant will work but you should be able to use VISA Write and VISA Read and any instrument drivers that you may download from NI. I don't have a list of links handly but if you do a search of the forum for agilent visa, you';; probably find a good number of posts on the subject and links to knowledge base articles on making an agilent board work with LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(7,229 Views)
I just got off the phone after talking to Agilent support and they tell me that NI VISA *must* be installed before Agilent's IO libraries are - otherwise I would get a mess on my hands.

And yes, I did enable the Tulip thingy - you cannot even see your GPIB card in MAX without doing that. The problem is in the interplay of Labview, Agilent's VISA and National Instruments VISA.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(7,226 Views)
No problem with anything exept with the IO-assistant.
You can use LabVIEW Instrument drivers from all vendors.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(7,214 Views)