Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instron 4400 driver?

Thanks for the note.  I have the manual too.  I was hoping that code was alreadfy written.

We have gone ahead and coded a solution that runs through the Bluehill ActiveX API.  Good enough for us.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(3,885 Views)

Hello I have an Instron Mini44 which is from the 4400 platform - using the same controller.

I have now gotten this donated system to function properly and would now like to interface with a computer through the GPIB interface.

I have a GPIB PCI card but the software from Instron for this older (1990's) 500N (112lb load cell) system is prohibitively expensive for the college (>$3,000).

I am looking for some basic software that would allow me to generate simple stress strain curves for my Composites students.  Anyone out there have any ideas?

Would greatly appreciate the help - we are a new program and I am running this Composites Lab with all second had donated equipment.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(3,873 Views)

Andy,

You can submit a request for a LabVIEW driver on this device at the following page.

Instrument Driver Request

Also here's a good page for testing out communication in Measurement and Automation Explorer

Serial, GPIB, and VXI Instrument Control with Measurement Studio VISA

Regards,

Danny F

Danny Funk -- Senior Group Manager -- Software R&D -- NI
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(3,854 Views)

Hi Danny

So forgive me for the stupid question, however are you saying that if I have the driver from Instron to interface with the GPIB/PCI card that I could use the lab view software to generate stress strain curves off this older Instron  (Mini44  - 4400 series platform)?

Thanks for the clarification

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(3,847 Views)

Andy,

Yes the drivers on ni.com/idnet are libraries of LabVIEW VI's that simplify NI VISA calls. So basically the drivers make it easier to send commands based off of device specific command structures. Currently there isn't one for the 4400 series, but you can still request one, find someone that has created one, or make one yourself.

Regards,

Danny F

Danny Funk -- Senior Group Manager -- Software R&D -- NI
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(3,842 Views)

Hi Jed,

Could you please expand on the method you used? I'm not familiar with what Bluehill is. Do you have any example code from your solution?

I'm an NI Field Engineer and I have a customer at a community college who is looking to do the same thing as you.

With warm regards,

David D.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(3,825 Views)

I am also looking to collect some live data over GPIB using an Instron 4400. I have not found this manual for coding. Could you please link that to me JaviHH or tell me where I can get that guide? Also, which GPIB boards work with the 4400? The website of Instron says that only the 8800 series can use the GPIB that they sell. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(3,466 Views)

Note to all:

I never did any GPIB programming directly.  I used ActiveX to control their BlueHill Software.  We also interfaced the analog and digital lines from the fixture to eliminate latency when reading values over GPIB.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(3,449 Views)

Did you have trouble opening the active x reference?  I get a Class not registered error. I registered the I_BluehillAPIV2.dll but I still get the Class not registered error. Was there another dll that needs to be registered?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(3,358 Views)

Hi Jed,

Do you know where I could find the manuel discussed, I am having similar problems trying to connect these devices.

Thank you,

Calum

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(3,031 Views)