Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have two gpib-usb-hs devices; both of them work in MAX but only one will function in labview, help please?

Solved!
Go to solution

Accidentally posted twice, see my question below

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,402 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Probalby because you didn't read the help file

"When there are multiple GPIB controllers that LabVIEW can use, a prefix to address string in the form ID:address (or ID: if no address is necessary) determines the controller that a specific function uses. For example, to set GPIB controller 2 to talk to a device on address 3, use the prefix 2:3. If a controller ID is not present, the function defaults to controller (or bus) number 0. "

Bus 0 will be the first gpib bus connected  to address a device at address 3 on the second controller the address string woud be 

"1:3"

If one wanted to use multiple cards and not stack the cables, how can you clear the registry so the Board ID's are not permanently saved? For instance, if you plug in 5 GPIB USB's into one PC, it registers them as Board ID's 0 - 4. When unplugging all GPIB's except for say Board 4, the Board ID will remain at 4 and not jump down to 0, i.e. Board ID is permanently saved in the computer registry and the GPIB's will not function if their respective Board ID's are mixed up (seems to be the OP's issue). I have been trying to solve this for quite some time - I can use multiple GPIB USB's if I keep the Board ID's straight but I cannot unplug them all and then randomly plug them back in, I must painstakingly keep track of each Board ID, even when not in use.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,402 Views)

From MAX use the menu "Tools" VISA Options and clear the unused aliases.  That should clean up the Windows Registry entries that are reserving the Device Enumerations.  (An effect of Plug-n-Play technology)  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,384 Views)

Thank you that works but is there a way to programmatically implement this in my C# code? That method is not very user friendly for someone completely unfamiliar with GPIB's (like our calibration technicians per say) 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,371 Views)