Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not commincate to my FTDI - uUSB-CE5 throgh Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm using uUSB-CE5 where the design is based around the FT232RQ from FTDI and i use it to communicate with uOLED-32028-P1T (SGC/GFX) touch screen, i download and install the Virtual COM Port Driver from FTDI website and i have the USB Serial Port(COM3) and the USB Serial Converter on the device manger, and the device working perfect with "4D Workshop 3 IDE and HTerm programs".

I have as well Arduino Duemilanove, i did configure the Serial port with the right baud rate and made the settings and i did use the VIs supplied with NI-VISA and it did work perfect with Arduino Duemilanove. but i can not get it work with my uUSB-CE5 and the touchscreen, and there is no message error appears and the LED on the uUSB-CE5 does not light up.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,235 Views)

Hi Mahon,

I cannot tell you why the communication with your device doesn't work using the NI-VISA VIs. Did you check the Serial palette?

You can also try a tool from sysinternals called "portmon" and compare the outputs of the working and not working version.

Best Regards,

Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,188 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mahon

Mahon-

I've reciently spent a day or so digging into the bowels of NI-VISA and the FTDI driver.  I posted a compendium of my issues and a few links to detailed tech notes.  See if this post offers any insight for you

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 6
(4,177 Views)

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for replying and trying to help, yes I did check the serial palette, I'm with this problem since two weeks:((

for example when I go to Measurement and Automation Explorer and open "Open VISA Test Panel" I can write and read from the device!!! But when I do apply this simple example to read , I got the message error (please see the attachments) and as well with writing to the device, always the error in read or write VISA.

Thanks for any kinds of help if you can.

Best Regards,

Mahon 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,174 Views)

@Mahon wrote:

for example when I go to Measurement and Automation Explorer and open "Open VISA Test Panel" I can write and read from the device!!! But when I do apply this simple example to read , I got the message error (please see the attachments) and as well with writing to the device, always the error in read or write VISA.

What exactly do you mean by this? So everything works in VISA Test Panel? And it doesn't work in your own LabVIEW code?

If so try the LabVIEW Example finder and browse to Hardware Input and Output > Serial

A simple example is at "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\examples\instr\smplserl.llb\Basic Serial Write and Read.vi"

In the code you postet there are elements missing, e.g. there is no Session close.

Best Regards,

Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,131 Views)

Hallo Andreas and Jeff,

This post that you did put Jeff, it is so helpful for me,and as well I did used property node to track and see what the wrong could be , it was really strange, I found "COM1 and COM3" under the same name "COM1" , I changed then it's working.

Thanks a lot

Regards

Mahon  

Message 6 of 6
(4,101 Views)