From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use NI-VISA to interface with PXI-PROFIBUS card

I'm trying to use the PXI-PROFIBUS card (several of them) to act as slaves to the various masters in my system.  Some of these question will be more in the NI-VISA world rather than the PXI-PROFIBUS card.

From all the VISA and PROFIBUS reading that I've done, the PXI-PROFIBUS card is supposedly usable from a C or C# application (regular VISA library and .NET VISA library).  My application will be emulating DP slaves, there by using the card as DP slaves. 

So far from what I understand is that the card would be a INSTR resource and per the API there are read/write methods for accessing buffers.  From the PROFIBUS side of things, I understand there are input and output process images/buffers/etc (seen many names for it).

If I will be reading/writing to buffers on the card, what am I reading/writing?  Do the process images reside on the card or do they need to be maintained in the application interfacing with the card?  What part of the profibus message format is handled by the card versus my application?

I will leave it here and see what responses I get before moving on to other questions.

Thanks,

Omar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(695 Views)