Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use HP4140B driver with Prologix GPIB-USB converter?

Hi,

I just bought a Prologix GPIB-USB controller to communicate with HP4140B pA-meter power supply. I also found driver for the same instrument in NI developer zone. But All these drivers are written for GPIB controller and Prologix is seen as virtual com in labview. I tried to communicate with my device and it is working. But still, i want to use driver of HP4140B if it is possible. Please let me know if there is any way I can enjoy the drivers with this Prologix converter. I will appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Nishant

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,307 Views)

You can try to specify the virtual comport as the visa resource for the instrument.

Maybe something works and otherwise you should read/modify the small differences implied by the virtual com port.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,304 Views)

Since the driver does not use VISA, you will have to completely rewrite the driver. Good thing you saved so much money on buying that controller.

p.s. Even if the driver did use VISA, you would still spend quite a bit of time rewriting the code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,300 Views)

Thanks Albert and Dennis, I used the HP4140B drivers and modified for VISA. Since I am not regular programmer, it took me 2 days to do that. I used Prologix example progam and HP4140B example program to control my instrument.

Thanks again,

Nishant

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,286 Views)

Hi Nishanth 

If its Ok to share your program could you please tell what steps you followed to modify your driver to read using this Prologix GPIB-USB controller. 

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you

Muthaheera 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,712 Views)

Hello,

I am very new in labwindows programing. I am trying to use a TTi QL355P via Prologix GPIB-USB converter.

I get a driver from TTi website for Labwindows but I don't know how to use it with the GPIB-USB converter.

Can you help me please ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,268 Views)

I'm not at all familiar with that instrument and you did not attach the driver. The best thing would have been for you to buy a real USB-GPIB controller instead of a serial-GPIB. Just like the prologix site says, if the driver uses GPIB calls, you will have to replace all of them with serial functions. If the driver uses VISA, then perhaps you just need to add a termination character to your writes. Examples of serial and VISA communication come with LabWindows/CVI.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,245 Views)

At the risk of sounding like I am ranting----

This seems like a great example of someone looking at price and imagining that the cost of hardware is even remotley related to the price of integrating that same hardware into a system.

Cost = how much money you pay to own the device.  I bought unit x from company b and had it shipped to "my.plant" and we will integrate it into a "test system" and sell it for a profit (or loss).

So, there were two possibilities on a specific piece of hardware one cost 10,000 beads the other 100 beads and you saved the customer and my.plant 9,900 beads to get the hardware.

The trouble is the 100 bead solution has no "adoption" and you will need to develope a driver for it.  Reading the manual (if its any good) is 8 hrs and coding the new driver takes 42 hrs. Testing the code takes another 12-24 hrs (if you don't need to make a test fixture).  so at a minumum we are looking at 100 beads plus 62*the base billing rate for a LabVIEW developer at 200 beads per hour your investment is 12500 beads for the 100 bead solution and 10200 beads for the "expensive" hardware.

Next time- the cost effectivness of doing business based on customer support.

-rant off

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,239 Views)
Message 9 of 12
(4,234 Views)

Open the example finder and look under Hardware Input and Output.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,181 Views)