From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to measure and log my home power usage

I want to know if there is a way to measure and log the power usage on my home using your software and hardware and my personal computer, probably using the house lines or using a remote instrument and a way to connect it to the computer. I have 30 years of experience as a technician and as supervisor of instrumentation systems on the pharmaceutical industry, on the past I did used your systems and attended many workshop trainings and tutorials of your equipment. If there is a way of doing it, then what is needed, how it is done and the price.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,046 Views)

Hola Myfamis!

Existen varias formas de lograr lo que comentas. Para una atención personalizada al respecto te recomiendo llames al número gratuito de NI: 018000100793.

Pide te comuniquen con un representante de ventas para que te oriente sobre la mejor solución para tu sistema.

Saludos y que tengas un excelente día!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,983 Views)

The cheap way:

Use the installed meter from your energy provider.  All you need is a pulse out every XX.XX Wh. Modern electronic powermeter provide an LED pulse  (easy 😉 ) and even for the classical ferraris meter you can find solutions in the web by monitoring the disc.   I have seen a solution with two photosensors in a bridge and a comparator all hooked up and powered by the handshake lines of a RS232.  

There should be some ATMEL/PIC solutions in the web (ELV, elector, circuit cellar, g**gle), that will do the monitoring and storing and have a RS232, so your PC doesn't have to run all the time (I assume you want so save energy). 

The professional way: 

Ask your provider to install a modern business meter with a build in opto coupled serial output. These devices can store a 90/30 day profile 🙂

All the rest can easily be done in LabVIEW ...  THINK IT. DRAW IT. RUN IT  😄 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,972 Views)

-Thinking outside the meter box-

Use a camera in a weather proof enclosure with LED illumination for night time focused on the existing meter. Depending on climate, may need heating/cooling.

Use vision tools to pattern match the digits (if it is an LCD display) or capture the clocking of the individual digit needles.

Outside ambient lighting changes throughout the day could be an issue.

No need to change meter, no code violations in attempting to tap into meter signals, and 100% electrical isolation from the power mains.

Just an alternative idea, not sure how practical it may be for your task.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 4 of 5
(3,958 Views)

AK2DM,

I never thought about any code violations  :smileysurprised: 

All my suggested ways will stick ON the meter, they just omit the camera 😉  and use one or two phototransistors that look at meter.  

But in times where simple electronic parts are expensive in low quantities you might be right in spend very little money on a web cam you get everywhere . No need of heating the solder iron ;-( 

Here it goes: The software is the instrument 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,911 Views)