Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change GPIB device primary address

Hello ;

I'm new comer to GPIB filed. We want to integrate one device into our antomatic test enviorment.

The GPIB primary address of the device is shown as 25 in NIMAX(seen as attached). We intend to change the primary address to 4. Could someone tell me how to change the primary address of this device?

thanks!

BR//jackie 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,590 Views)

That would depend on the instrument.  Some have switches on the back that are read at power up.  Others have menu settings using the manual controls.  Some are hard coded so you cannot change the address.  So go read the manual.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,574 Views)

If you are permitted to change the GPIB address of an instrument, it will be on the instrument.  Whether it is changed mechanically with switches or with software through a series of menu items, it will be on the instrument and not remotely.  NI-MAX contacts the instrument remotely.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,557 Views)

Hi,

I have 4 Melles Griot Piezoelectric Controller and All 4 GPIB address are set = 12 (I used NI to read *IDN?). There is no DIP switch to change the GPIB address and I can not file the user programming manual. Would you please show me how to change its GPIB address for this instrument. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,739 Views)

@KPRO wrote:

Hi,

I have 4 Melles Griot Piezoelectric Controller and All 4 GPIB address are set = 12 (I used NI to read *IDN?). There is no DIP switch to change the GPIB address and I can not file the user programming manual. Would you please show me how to change its GPIB address for this instrument. Thank you very much for your help.

A User's Manual will probably tell you what you need to know.  Otherwise, just start digging into any menu on the instrument until you find where the GPIB address is set.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,735 Views)

Which model Melles Griot Piezo controller?  I have a few and should be able to help..

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,734 Views)

Hi Cstorey,

Melles Griot Piezoelectronic Controller with Feedback. Product No: 17PCZ013.

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,732 Views)

Hmm, don't have that one.  I just checked and most of mine are serial or USB, you run a config.exe to setup what controllers are in what slots and then communication is easy with VISA from there.

The one GPIB model I have in the lab is not the same as yours but it has a set of switches beside the GPIB connector on the back of the instrument to set the address.  Address is set by switches corresponding to binary bits (00010 = 2, 10000 = 32, etc..). 

If you don't have switches then its in the menu from the front panel somehow.  If its not obvious how, I'd keep searching Goolge until you find a manual.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,726 Views)

Hi,

Please help me how to change the GPIB address on 17PCZ013 (Melles Griot). There is no DIP switch and also no menu on this instrument. I have 4 instruments in used but their GPIB addresses are = 12. If you have 17PCZ013 user manual please give me a copy. I try to google for user manual but unsuccess. Thank you for your help in advance.

Khanh Nguyen

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,675 Views)

Hello Khanh,

Have you tried navigation through all menus that might be available on the front panel of the 17PCZ013? Without having a manual to look it up, it's hard to find the correct way to change the GPIB address. I used my googling skills on this, however I was not able to track down the manual of this ~25 years old device.

Actually I only found one useful reference, a diploma paper from 1995. A 17PCZ013 was used in there; unfortunately, the paper does not explain changing the address, but uses 12 as address as well, see page 32: "Piezo_Number = 12". Maybe it is not possible to change the address of this device.

Two parts of advice:

1. Some newer devices support changing their address using a remote command. It's not a standardizes command, so you would have to look it up (in the manual you don't have, sorry). Modern implementations are like "SYSTem:COMMunicate:GPIB:ADDRess" and similar.
  2. The DIP switches you are searching might be located inside the device. Have you already opened it up an looked inside?

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,653 Views)