Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to acquire data from DSO GPIB port for analysis ?

I need to acquire data from 4 channels of Nicolet oscilloscope using GPIB port available on the oscilloscope. How do I interface with USB port on Laptop and which software to use ? Is it SIgnal Express ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,482 Views)
To use your USB port for GPIB communication, you would need a GPIB-USB controller like this one. You can use it in any number of programming environments such as LabVIEW, LabWindows/CVI, Visual Basic, C++, etc. SignalExpress, as far as I know, is primarlily used with DAQ boards and not GPIB though you can convert a SignalExpress program to LabVIEW and use it there with all of the GPIB functions that come with LabVIEW. You might also want to go to the Instrument Driver Network and see if there's a driver already written for your scope. That might also influence your choice of software.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,474 Views)
Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the driver for the Nicolet Pro 20 oscilloscope from NI website .  Is it possible to use signal express with this driver to acquire data using GPIB - USB interface or converter ?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,453 Views)
With that driver that you downloaded (LabVIEW plug and play driver), you will not be able to add steps to SignalExpress as easily as you might be able to if you have an IVI driver for that instrument (there are actual IVI steps in SignalExpress).  However, check out the following App Note for some ideas of how you might be able to communicate with and control your instruments using custom steps created in LabVIEW:

Creating SignalExpress Plug-Ins with LabVIEW

Logan S.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,451 Views)
Thanks Dear Logan. I'll go through the app note and will try. Can you give me your email id so that I can ask in case of doubts ? regards
sunil
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,446 Views)
If you would like to contact NI via email, you can do so by going to the following link:

Logan S.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,434 Views)