Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How run LABView on oscilloscope(TDS5054B) with windows2000

My oscilloscope ( TDS 5054B, TEKTRONIX) has a Windows 2000 as platform, and LABVIEW 8.0 is also on it. I want the oscilloscope to save data from each channel automatically every 0.1 second, at least pk-pk value of each channel. Is it possible to run a LABView project on this oscillocope, or shall I buy a DAQ card and control the oscilloscope by another computer?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,223 Views)
I've done this on a TDS6404 scope and I think it is possible on a 5054. The scope should show up as a VISA resource.

I did have a couple issues when I did this. First, the screen resolutions are usually fixed or only have a limited amount of adjustability. Keep that in mind while designing the UI. Second, the oscilloscope application always takes the screen focus when running, so your vi will be behind the scope application while running (it won't be visible).

I no longer run my LV apps on the scopes, I do so over GPIB instead.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,213 Views)

Thanks alot for  Collin M's help.

I check in Tektronix's web, and can only find TEKTRONIX TEKSCOPE IVI-COM DRIVER V2.0 (13.9MB). I can not find subvi or lib file. 

If I want to run the VI with the LABView on oscilloscope, shall I first install this oscillocope's driver?

Do you have a tutorial or example for LABView to do this job?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,199 Views)
The LabVIEW driver for the TDS5054B can be found here. You need to install this on the scope.

These vi's use a VISA instrument handle. There should be a VISA instrument handle for the scope if you have VISA installed on the scope. If I remember correctly it will only work if you have either Tek's VISA or NI's VISA (don't remember which).

If you open the VISA configuration utility, do you see a VISA handle for the scope?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,195 Views)

Dear Collin M,

I am also planning to do the similar application, we have Teledyne lecroy oscilloscope with WIN 10, I want to remove the PC from our test set-up and connect all other instrument to Oscilloscope itself, I don't know whether my idea is good or Bad, and whether it will work or not.

My question is, how to use the oscilloscope in LabVIEW, since all the instrument drivers are start with VISA handler, here its internal communication from LabVIEW to Oscilloscope there is no external communication through IEEE communication cable, there are other instrument which will communicate through IEEE I am clear on those instrument handling in LabVIEW.

Wr/-

Raikar A G  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,594 Views)