Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use an OPC server to allow labview to read data from my instrument?

I am using the BioFlo110 Fermentation Unit to control and monitor conditions.  I would like to use LabView to record the data generated (temperature, dissolved oxygen concentration, pH, agitation speed).  There is a 25 pin serial out on the controller for the device to connect to a computer.  The manufacturer says that I can use LabView instead of their custom software, to log the data, so long as I have an OPC Server.  Since LabView offers an OPC server as an additional option, I would like to know if I purchase this option, what configuration I will need to do to enable LabView to read the data from this device. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,715 Views)

Hi merrice,

I do not see the BioFlo 110 in the list of supported devices for NI OPC Server. I see on the BioFlo 110 website that the BioFlo 110 can "use any software with Modbus communication." If this is the case, you can use LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module to communicate through Modbus. New Brunswick Scientific may also provide an OPC server for the BioFlo 110. You will need to discuss that possibility with them. If they do provide an OPC server, you may also use Datasockets to connect to the OPC server as well as use DSC. I have provided some additional links below that explain how to connect to Modbus, connect to OPC servers, and use DSC.

Connect LabVIEW to Any Industrial Network and PLC

Connecting LabVIEW to an OPC Server through a DataSocket Connection

DSC Resources:

Developing Scalable Networked Monitoring and Control Systems with LabVIEW

Developing Monitoring Applications with the LabVIEW DSC Module for Control Systems

Building Distributed Monitoring and Control Systems with LabVIEW

Modbus I/O Server:

Video Demonstration: Creating a Modbus I/O Server

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,697 Views)

hi do you found any way to communicate Bioflo with Labview. We also have Bioflo 115 but we do not have any software with it. So can we still connect it with labview?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,009 Views)

@vikichopda wrote:

hi do you found any way to communicate Bioflo with Labview. We also have Bioflo 115 but we do not have any software with it. So can we still connect it with labview?

This thread is nearly 8 years old.

The person who wrote the first post has not been here since he posted that question.

I suggest you read the reply post from the NI Application Engineer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,001 Views)

hi,

We have Bioflo 115 reactor and not any software with it. Manufacturer says it supports Modbus protocol. But my question is what string or command I should send so that it can control or read data from reactor. They have provided me register map address but I do not know how to use them. Can you help in this regard?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,990 Views)
I would suggest that you not try to write your own code. Either use the DSC toolkit add-on or the LabVIEW api - https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30140
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,986 Views)

Does any one still require a solution. I have a 6 year old software which you can use to host your OPC server. and hosted variables can be then taken to labview using psp variable.? Hit me up if you require help. sahil.shetye at lanzatech dot com

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,806 Views)