Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I access administrator privileges for 488.2 in Windows 7?

All my attempts at changing Programs Folders security settings in Windows 7 has not allowed me to gain access to settings on my GPIB card. I have administrator privileges on my laptop but cannot change my GPIB card primary address.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,869 Views)

@RMPA wrote:

All my attempts at changing Programs Folders security settings in Windows 7 has not allowed me to gain access to settings on my GPIB card. I have administrator privileges on my laptop but cannot change my GPIB card primary address.

Huh?

The controller card is address 0.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,863 Views)

If I add a second GPIB card/controller to my PC I should have the option of deciding the primary address of each controller, not just the address that it defaults to.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,858 Views)

should?

Is that in the documentation?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,853 Views)

If it is a PCI GPIB card it has nothing to do with Windows. The PCI cards are configured during startup by the BIOS.

And I cannot imagine why you would want to change this.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,846 Views)

By default, you must run NI Measurement & Automation Explorer (NI MAX) as Administrator to change these settings. To do this, right-click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator".

Once you do this, you should be able to change the settings you need. If you want to remove this restriction for future use, you can change the settings from within MAX throughh the following menu opion:  Tools->NI-488.2->Require Administrator priveleges.

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,835 Views)