Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I access COM2?

I'm building an application that addresses two devices (Velmex X-Y Stepper Motor Controller and PhotoResearch PR705).  One is on COM1: and the other is on COM2: on the "target" PC.  The trouble is that LV7.0 only lists COM1: in the list of Visa resources (Visa Resource Name Constant).  The PR705 VIs (from Photoresearch) use an U8 integer input for COM port number; it works for COM1:.  After creating the application from the VI, all commands appear to go to COM1: on the target machine.  I'm not real fond of the PR705 VIs, and will write my own, once I get this problem worked out.

I suspect that since my PC (Dell GX260 with Win2k) has only COM1, LV presents that as the only choice.  Is there any way to fool LV into giving me COM1 and COM2?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
...jerry
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,983 Views)
If I understand you correctly, you have Com1 and Com2 on the target pc but only Com1 on the development pc? If that's the case and you want to assign Com2 in the program, then all you have to do is right click on the VISA Resource Name control or constant and select "Allow Undefined Names". Type in Com2 (or whatever) and save.
Message 2 of 3
(2,978 Views)

Thanks, Dennis!!  That worked!  I now have another problem that I'll post under a different subject.

...jerry

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,966 Views)