Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use the parallel port as an input channel to communicate with a SPECTROMETER?

Hello,

The sensing system we use is called: FieldSpec Pro from www.asdi.com.
The spectrometer has a LPT terminal. I'd like to use LabVIEW to acquire signals from the spectrometer for further analysis.
Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,193 Views)
There is an application note at http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/72C6FC6CE4AD4D1386256B1800794596 that discusses how to use either VISA or the In Port/Out Port functions to read/write the parallel port.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,185 Views)
I did try that... I'd like to take measurements and plot graphs for the reflected light.... I can't receive any signal...
What should I do?? The sensor website is: www.asdi.com (FieldSpec Pro - Full Range).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,176 Views)
The only thing I could quickly find on the web site is a specification. This is a laptop computer with a regular parallel port? Or is it a standalone instrument that connects to the laptop via the parallel port. Or is it something else? I have been unable to find any real documentation on this web site. Do you have an electronic version of the manual or a link to one?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,173 Views)
Hello Dennis,

It's a Spectroradiometer. Its output sends spectral data via LPT to a laptop that has the acqusition and analysis software.
You'll find a guide under:

Technical Resources & Sience Center
       Publications
             ASD Tech Guide

Thank you!

@Dennis Knutson wrote:
The only thing I could quickly find on the web site is a specification. This is a laptop computer with a regular parallel port? Or is it a standalone instrument that connects to the laptop via the parallel port. Or is it something else? I have been unable to find any real documentation on this web site. Do you have an electronic version of the manual or a link to one?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,170 Views)
About all that tells me is that I'm located in the same town as the manufacturer. You'll need to find some specification that describes the parallel port protocol. Without that, you're just wasting your time. Even if the instrument is constantly sending data, you'll need to know how to interpret the data and there's nothing that says it has to be sending constantly. Maybe you first have to write something to the port first. Talk to them and tell them you want to replace their software with software of your own and need to be able to read the data.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,165 Views)
Dennis,

I appreciate your time.
I have asked the copmany for such infos, but it seems to be confidential.
Do I need an I/O DAQ-Card?

@Dennis Knutson wrote:
About all that tells me is that I'm located in the same town as the manufacturer. You'll need to find some specification that describes the parallel port protocol. Without that, you're just wasting your time. Even if the instrument is constantly sending data, you'll need to know how to interpret the data and there's nothing that says it has to be sending constantly. Maybe you first have to write something to the port first. Talk to them and tell them you want to replace their software with software of your own and need to be able to read the data.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,160 Views)
I don't think that will make a difference if the information is confidential. You still would face the issue of understanding what the data you read means. Say you were able to read the 8 data bits of the parallel port. You read 01001000 1101000 0001111, etc. What does it mean and how do you convert it to something else?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,157 Views)