From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I initiate Local Lockout 8722ES using GPIB, Measure and Excel

I am trying to put my HP8722ES into Local Lockout using Measure and Excel ?

Thank You

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,966 Views)

Hi Hank001,

How are you communicating with your HP8722ES? It appears as if we do not have any instrument drivers for your device on our instrument driver network, so are you manually sending commands to your device? The manual will probably list the command(s) you need to send it in order for it to enter the Local Lockout mode.

Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,943 Views)

I am using VBA code thru VISA layer oi the Analyzer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,939 Views)

Hi Hank001,

Look in the programming manual for your analyzer to see if there is a command for putting your analyzer into Local Lockout. If so, you can send this command to your analyzer through the NI-VISA layer.

I also found a Developer Zone Tutorial that calls NI-488.2 functions in Excel with VBA. It is for an older version of Excel, but you may be able to port it to a new version.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/798

Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,924 Views)

VISA is NOT a layer of the analyzer.

To send LLO, Use the viGpibControlREN function as documented in the VISA help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,915 Views)

All I can find in the manual for lockout is :

10 REMOTE 716

20 LOCAL LOCKOUT 7 

Which is done in basic with a HP computer hooked up to it.

I do not see a command listed for lockout.

The extent of my programing is done in Excel in Visual Basic where I enter the commands to perform different tasks like setting limit lines, scale per division, calibration ect.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,902 Views)
Did you look up the function I mentioned in the VISA help? It is not in the instrument manual anymore than the GPIB function that you list.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,895 Views)

Looking into the VISA is now out of my skill range.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,892 Views)

You said "I am using VBA code thru VISA layer oi the Analyzer". You are either using VISA or you aren't. If you are using viWrite then you can certainly use the function I mentioned.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,890 Views)

When I previously wrote "I am using VBA code thru VISA layer oi the Analyzer" Someone standing next to me said that.

When you wrote "To send LLO, Use the viGpibControlREN function as documented in the VISA help."  I do not understand what that means.

I am not familar with VISA I know we installed it on a few computers but not all, as for what we are doing so far we do not need it.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,883 Views)