Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HiSlip instrument Not Present

We have a Agilent N9020A MXA Signal Analyzer on our local area network separate from the corporate LAN.

It shows up in NI-MAX as three entries, but for HiSlip entry, the status is Not Present.

Can someone explain why that is?

Is there something I need to do to change the status?

Attached is a screenshot of NI-MAX.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,848 Views)

The "Not Present" status mean that MAX recognizes that it was once connected, but no longer is connected. A few questions to think about are whether you have changed anything from when it was previously connected (disconnected cables, etc.). Do you have the VISA or IVI device drivers downloaded?  If you are using the VISA drivers, you want to ensure that you are using the NI VISA driver as primary over the HP VISA driver.  There is more information on those driver specifications here: http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5990-3731EN.pdf .  Also can you reach it with an *IDN? command using a VISA Test Panel. These would all be good troubleshooting steps to start with in order to narrow down where this "Not Present" status is coming from.

Aaron L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,816 Views)

Understanding that this is a cold thread, but I recently ran across a similar problem and wanted to catalog the issue for anyone else that ran into it:

You'll note that the hostname for the Keysight Instrument is '.local' (resolved by mDNS).  In my case, I had a firewall that was intermittently blocking mDNS resolution on my local subnet where the instrument was attached (N6700 programmable power supply).  More insidious was the fact that the resolution would work for the start of a program, but if the test ran more than 10 minutes and mDNS re-resolution failed, the instrument would disappear mid-program.

The resolution was to unblock the mDNS resolution and/or connect via IP address rather than mDNS.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,385 Views)