Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with piezo (mdt693a) controller

Hi!

I've tried a simple VISA protocol code in labview to control a piezo displacement device (MDT693A - http://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1191). But i can't make it work, though the corresponding software work fine.

Here are some snapshot from both my code and document. I hope someone can help.

Thx anyway!
pizo.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,140 Views)

Have you tried using Hyperterminal?

Do you have the right type of serial cable  null-modem vs straight-through?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,137 Views)

Hi, thx for answering. I haven't tried Hyperterminal and I don't know about the cable. But as I said, the software that followed with the apparatus is working fine. So the connection is good, so I guess the problem must have to do with labview and the coding. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,132 Views)

Correct serial settings ?   Ask Thorlabs about ALL details.  (assuming RTFM is done 😉 ) And while you are asking add a question to the number format of the voltage value.

Here in god old germany there is another source of error: the decimal point character ... 

I recommend a detailed format into string for serial commands, including decimal point and decimal digits.  (How does the instrument react if you send the value of Pi ? ) 

Spoiler
The command string will never end 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,094 Views)

Hi mkkribor, 

Did you finally work out your problem? I am also trying to use LabVIEW to control MDT693A. I simply use the code found in its user manual "XV6" in VISA write. This command should configure the instrument to set the x-axis's voltage to be 6 volt. However, it does not work. And if I use VISA read, it just simply show my command again just in lower case. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,672 Views)

Hi!

Im sorry to say that i struggle to remember much of this is issue (it was 3 years ago in a very hectic period of my life;) But im very certain that I solved the problem using a VISA setup (VISA Write not read) like in my first post, and that the problem was an easy fix, propably "the decimal point character" like Mr. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,669 Views)

Hi Kristian, 

Thank you for your replay! it has bee a long time, I absolutely understand that. At least you give me some clue to work on. That is better than what I expexted already. Thank you!

Kai

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,662 Views)

Hi Kai,

I know it's been three years, but have you been able to solve the problem? I have been trying to interface with my MDT693 using MATLAB, and even I get back the same command I put in, except in lower case. Any insight on why that might be happening would be very helpful. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,635 Views)

Hi, I got it to work eventually, but I don't remember clearly now. For me, it was related about some settings both on my laptop and mdt693a. One thing I remember the most is that I looked into the manual of mdt693a. We need to put it into a different mode by pressing some buttons on it. I don't remember what is the name of the mode. It is something like "command mode" or "serial communication mode". The rest of the settings would be making sure the baud rate, parity and etc to be matched in your program, and selecting the right COM port. 

Hope it helps and good luck. 

Kai

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,616 Views)

Hi Kai,

I'll take another look at the manual and see if I'm missing anything. Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,612 Views)