Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I try to interface the computer and the hp 34401A with rs232. I'm at the beginning so I used the VI in labview examples but it doesn't run, the error is 1073807343. What does it mean?

Do you mean the error -1073807343 ?

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,385 Views)

For the VISA Resource Name control, you have to select the port that the instrument is connected to. If you click on the little arrow on the right side of the control, you will get a list of available resources.

p.s. Please don't try to squeeze your entire question into the message topic. You've got the message body for doing that.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 03-27-2008 11:18 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,381 Views)
Hello,
At first thanks for help, I'm at the biginning with labview, so I'm still trying to understand.
I select the port that is connected with the instrument and the virtual instrument run without error, but the instrument doesn't receive nothing.
I have programed the instrument to comunicate with computer through RS232 and I also have set up, in the instrument,  the baud rate, parity bit, stop bit and data bit with the values indicated in the program.
Now  I don't know what I can do.
Thanks.
Laura
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,328 Views)

The functions you are using are obsolete and I don't even know where you could have found them with LabVIEW 7.1. One problem that you could be having is that the old serial functions used port '0' for Com1 and port '1' for Com2.

If you really want to use your own serial functions, use the shipping examples (Basic Serial Write and Read) but it would be far better if you used the instrument driver that ships with LabVIEW. Go to the Instrument I/O>Instrument Drivers palette and you will see a HP34401 palette. It has all of the functions you need and a Getting Started example.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,319 Views)

Thanks for the help,
however I tried to use the VI basic serial write and read, but there was the same problem, the VI run but the multimeter didn't receive information.
And if the problem is that I must previously put the multimeter in remote mode?The only problem is that in the manual is not clear how to do this thing from the frontal panel, do you know how?
Thanks again for help and sorry if the question maybe is stupid.
Laura.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,283 Views)

If you would use the driver I mentioned, this would be done for you.

If you insist on writing your own code and reinventing the wheel, the command is SYST:REM. However, you may have other problems. You might not have the correct com settings (baud rate, parity, handshaking,etc.), the correct type of RS-232 cable (null modem or straight-through), and you might not be terminating your commands correctly (CR or LF). Try some basic communications with Hyperterminal and at least look at the code in the shipping example.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,280 Views)