Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HART or Modbus protocol

Does that code still use the transmitter? Or is it a direct connection with the CMF010? It would be best for us to go through the RFT9739 transmitter, as our current setup is through the transmitter via modbus on a two wire rs485 connection. We also want to still retain prolink (micro motion's software) connectivity if need be.

Thanks!

Ryan 

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 26
(1,113 Views)

The vi was originally used with a CMF010 that had MVD transmitter because it was for an embedded job. However I have used it with my site calibration CMF010 which has the 2400S Transmitter fitted so the coms should be ok with your RS485 connection.

To get the correct registers for information you will need the full data sheet/manual for your transmitter. If you go to the Emmeson web site and download the manual for CMF010 with MVD you should be able to see were my start address, read input registers etc comes from and adapt it to your transmitter.

I have used Prolink at the same time as Labview but that was when I used the frequency output of the transmitter with Labview for flow reading and Prolink on the RS485 bus. You might be ok to use the HART connection (if you have one) for Prolink and RS485 for Labview. I have never tried Prolink and Labview running on one RS485 bus before.

Jack

Labview Version 8.5
Labview Version 8.6
Labview Version 2014
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 26
(1,109 Views)

Actually, we have prolink operating on the RS 485 bus currently. Our application for labview is better and more specific datalogging over the network from multiple assembly lines. The only reason I wanted to control the flow meter with Labview is because it is impossible to run prolink with other software over RS-485. From what I have gather, this is the nature of RS-485, not prolink.

You said you have ran prolink on the RS-485 bus, and labview for flow reading? This is just about exactly what I am trying to accomplish.

I have the manual for the transmitter in front of me. I am assuming you used channels D24 and D26 (FREQ+ and RETURN). I was unaware of these terminals, and they might just provide the simplest solution yet!

Do you know what type of signal output is on these terminals? (For connection to labview)

Thanks a million for enlightening me to these outputs-this simplifies my hardware and software setup by quite a bit.

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 26
(1,107 Views)

I also noticed there are primary mA terminals too that send a 4-20 mA signal. They can send flow rate, temperature, and a few other things as well. Have you experimented with these?

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 26
(1,103 Views)

From memory I think that I would have taken the frequency signal through a conditioning board first before putting into the DAQ board. From old habit any signals tend to go through boards we make ourselves for filtering opto isolation etc but you might not need this.

I cannot remember the voltage output levels of the transmitter but if its TTL 0 - 5V you should be ok to wire directly. The signal was then put into a NI 6602 DAQ card.

Hope this helps

Jack

Labview Version 8.5
Labview Version 8.6
Labview Version 2014
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 26
(1,100 Views)

No sorry,

Jack

Labview Version 8.5
Labview Version 8.6