From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting old national instruments pci-gpib 183617j-01 working with Windows 10 PC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can provide me with some assistance betting an old pci-gpib 183617j-01 working with a comparatively new, Windows 10 PC. As far as I can tell, the problem seems to be that I don't have the correct drivers for the card.

I started with the latest version of the NI-VISA and NI-488.2 drivers. Windows can find the card in Device Manager and after installing the drivers, it correctly identifies it as a National Instruments pci-gpib card. The problem is that I can't start a VISA session with the card. That is, when I open VISA interactive, I see my COM ports listed but no GPIB.

I tried finding an earlier version of the drivers, because I read online that these cards only work with the DVD drivers they were shipped with. The earliest drivers I could find were version 17 (presumably from 2017?). These drivers didn't fix anything. I'm not sure how hold the card is exactly, but I'm sure it's at least older than 2015, possibly even 2010.

Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,019 Views)

I hate to respond to my own post, but I'm getting the sense that no one knows much about these ancient cards anymore (understandably).

In lieu of trying to revive this pci-gpib interface, I'm thinking about buying a new usb-gpib adapter. There's something very confusing to me about these usb adapters though. Their prices seem to range from thousands (eg: https://www.ni.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/products/gpib-instrument-control-device.html?modelId=120494) to ~100 (eg: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004520117847.html?pdp_npi=2%40dis%21CAD%21C%24%2097.22%21C%24%20...). I don't understand why there is such a range in prices. Does anyone know why this might be or have any experience with these adapters?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(964 Views)

There are lot of clones of NI USB-GPIB adapters and the drivers flag them as not-genuine. But you will not find clones of the '+' version of the USB-GPIB adapters.

If you're looking for low cost alternative, you can try Prologix.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 3 of 7
(959 Views)

Thanks for the response!

Can you help me understand what the disadvantages of going with a low cost alternative are? If the drivers flag them as not-genuine, will I still be able to use them? I just want to make sure I don't get scammed into buying junk for $100 or spending $2000 on something I could have spent $100 on.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(954 Views)

Please look up this thread for more info - https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Genuine-NI-GPIB-USB-HS-warning-message/td-p/...

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Message 5 of 7
(951 Views)

Thanks! I'll take a look through that thread.

In the mean time, do you know how I might get my hands on the old drivers for my PCI-GPIB card?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(948 Views)
Solution
Accepted by nlupugla

You need an SSP to get access to old drivers, NI deliberately took out all old drivers that supports non-genuine NI GPIB hardware. If you're lucky someone with a copy could share with you.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

Message 7 of 7
(941 Views)