Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genuine NI GPIB-USB-HS warning message

The response is incorrect.  I am using a genuine GPIB-USB-HS purchased directly from National Instruments.

It does not report that it is not genuine when running NI-488.2- v2.8.1, NI-488.2-3.1.12, or NI-488.2 v17.0.

It reports not genuine when running NI-488.2-v17.6 and in that mode, it does not allow me to change settings or properties.

What should I do?

I don't know the exact purchase date, probably 4-8 years ago, but if needed, I can get a copy of the purchase order.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(6,936 Views)

I am using a genuine GPIB-USB-HS purchased directly from National Instruments.

It does not report that it is not genuine when running NI-488.2- v2.8.1, NI-488.2-3.1.12, or NI-488.2 v17.0.

It reports not genuine when running NI-488.2-v17.6 and in that mode, it does not allow me to change settings or properties.

What should I do?

I don't know the exact purchase date, probably 4-8 years ago, but if needed, I can get a copy of the purchase order.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(6,934 Views)

Start of by registering the GPIB-USB adapter on National Instruments website if you haven't already.  This is found in the "My Account" tab and then "My Products".  Afterwards check to make sure the returned registration certificate is reading the correct item.

I found that my GPIB-USB counterfeit adapter, which worked for a little bit, had the wrong product associated with it.  I called recently and was told this likely means it's counterfeit.

I'm guessing even though your item is legit, a counterfeit item may have snagged your registration number.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(6,926 Views)

Hi nengadai,

One troubleshooting step that I'd like you to try, is disconnecting the cable on both ends (USB and GPIB), then reconnect the USB end, then reconnect the GPIB end. Order matters in this case, so make sure to follow the steps in the order I gave them in. The reason I'm having you do this, is to identify whether or not there is a potential bug that we should be aware of

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(6,883 Views)

Hello Tommy,

I am having the same problem - old GPIB-USB-HS, upgraded to NI-MAX v18 on new PC and suddenly the hardware is "not genuine" Error code: -37056.  Hardware was purchased from NI years ago - not from ebay!

USB driver version: 17.6.0.49152

NI-MAX version: 18.0.0f0

GPIBUSB.jpg

Message 15 of 26
(6,799 Views)

I'm getting the same error message too.  The sad part is I know I purchased on NI...When I go to look at my past orders...all of the invoices pull up nothing.  So I can't even verify this purchase I made way back when.

Calling NI to see if there's a fix I can use.

This device is not a genuine National Instruments product and may not perform as expected. Please contact your National Instruments sales representative for more information at ni.com/contact. (Error code: -37056)

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(6,727 Views)

After calling NI I discovered NI4882_1700f0.exe Driver or earlier will work.

Message 17 of 26
(6,722 Views)

If you are not using the HS+ option of the USB-GPIB controller, then this may be an option for you.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(6,657 Views)

when I did this fix it worked.  disconnected the the cable from both ends and reconnected the usb and then the gpib.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(6,487 Views)

I have the same issue after updating. I registered my GPIB-USB-HS at the NI website and it accepted it so how can it not be genuine? Does anyone have a fix for this? 

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(6,148 Views)