Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB to PC Connection

Is it possible to connect the GPIB instrument to PC directly? If yes, which port on PC can be used for the connection?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,974 Views)
Those pc's don't exist anymore, back in 1984 HP made some.
greetings from the Netherlands
Message 2 of 8
(6,971 Views)

Pritam,

You will need some hardware to connect the bus to your PC.  the NI PCI-GPIB sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/203786 is one of the more common solutions.  If your PC doesn't have PCI available you could use an USB-GPIB adaptor  sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/201586.

Other options include GPIB via ethernet and there are PCMCIA and serial solutions as well.

Whatever hardware you select will come with the required drivers to allow you to use the GPIB and VISA functions to talk on the GPIB bus.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,961 Views)

I have the GPBI to USB connection, and also i installed the drivers for my scope which is HP 54621D. i have installed Visa interactive control. the problem is when i connect my osclliscope to PC via the GPBI to USB connection, Labview cannot read from it and gives me this error.

"Configuration error" 

"Possible reason(s):

Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA1207) The item does not exist in the collection.
Complete call chain:
     ivi_IviScope Initialize With Options.vi
     ivi_subScopeGetReleaseSession.vi
     ivi_subScopeInitializeData.vi
     ivi_IVIScopeInvokeCommand.vi:1"
Could anyone help me with this error?
Thanks

Message 4 of 8
(6,563 Views)

You've installed the IVI Compliance Package and configured MAX for the 54621D? Have you tried the LabVIEW driver to see if that works?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,519 Views)

I have the same question.  I recently bought a Tektronix 2440 scope and I would like to connect it to my PC.  Can I connect it via RS232 or USB?  What kind of software is available to programming the 2440?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,085 Views)

Hi Larry_F14,

Manual and info on the Tek 2440 - http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2440 

You need to use GPIB as it doesn't appear the Tek 2440 has a RS232 connector.  The scope is rather old, and the commands are unique but everything you need is explained in here - http://w140.com/tek_2440_programmer_man.pdf

There's also a LabVIEW driver for your scope here - http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=2192

Read the manual, understand the commands, play with the examples in the driver, then write your own code to suit your needs.  

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,074 Views)

As Craig mentioned, this is a GPIB scope.  It seems to accept standard SCPI commands.  As such, I wrote a vi & manual for use with a simple USB-to-GPIB converter.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,066 Views)