From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB to Ethernet

We have an old test system used to automate the testing of certain devices. Some instruments in the system are old and need replacing. But the units are neither serviceable nor replaceable, So we need to find new hardware.

But again We cannot edit the code of the control software to add in the commands for the new hardware.
So, I want to make a little black box which will sit between the controller and the new instrument and translate the old GPIB commands and transmit via ethernet.

So my black box will need to act as both an instrument and a controller in order to pose as the old instrument but then control the new instrument, but also work in reverse to send the reading back to the controller.

If i make system like that how old system will identify my system as test instrument. What settings i should do for that

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,076 Views)

Wow interesting project but I don't know off top of my head if you can do that. Say test program has 2 instruments one on gpib address 2 and the other one on address 3. I don't know if you can listen to both addresses at same time in your black box.

How about a different approach using purely software. Do you know what language the test program was written in? You need to work out if it is calling a dll for the communication in which case you could replace this with your converter. If its not calling dll's then it is probably statically linked to the driver and so I don't think you can add a shim layer. Also is it calling the gpib driver or visa? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,006 Views)

So my black box will need to act as both an instrument and a controller in order to pose as the old instrument but then control the new instrument, but also work in reverse to send the reading back to the controller.

If i make system like that how old system will identify my system as test instrument. What settings i should do for that

The black box should appear as a GBIP device (not GPIB controller) on the PC side, so as I understand what you need is an embedded GPIB board (microcontroller+GPIB board that can be configured as a passive device) and then write a firmware for it.  Programming the  GPIB chips like TMS9914 is rather challenging so I think it would be much easier converting it to serial using a board like https://www.icselect.com/gpib_serial_intfc_boards.html or similar (there are some cheap GPIB-serial boards like Prologix but I don't know if it can be configured as a non-controller device), then use a microcontroller equipped with Ethernet to translate and send the commands.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,955 Views)