From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB on CompactRIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

A simple question, but I want confirmation. 

Does the GPIB-USB-HS+ (https://www.ni.com/nl-nl/support/model.gpib-usb-hs-.html) work on the CompactRIO, or any other third party GPIB to USB controllers?

What are to requirements for it to work on a CompactRIO?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,266 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,225 Views)

So if I understand correctly, it is not possible to use the USB port for GPIB control, instead I should use the RS232 port in combination with the GPIB-RS232 converter.

If I were to use this converter, can I send the converter the GPIB data that I would send to the GPIB controller, or do I have to send the RS232 protocol for the converter?

Thank you,

Prentice

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,194 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PrenticeK

You are correct Prentice,

The USB will not be recognized by the controller.

The GPIB-RS232 will speak RS232 with the cRIO and GPIB with your device. You will send the commands via RS-232 and they will be forwarded to the GPIB device.

For example: you will send *IDN? via RS-232 and the converter will send *IDN? through the GPIB bus.I believe you would use the S mode, per Which Mode Should I Use During The GPIB-RS232 Communication? 

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,183 Views)

Ah I see. Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Prentice

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,168 Views)