Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB mixing between two equipements

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm facing trouble getting GBIP address from two exact the same equipment's (Lambda power supply) at the same time.

When I run the test application with both power supplies ON I didn't get reading, on VISA it will show only one instrument with address 6 and without the part number and it is only listed as Instrument 1, I confirmed that the test command sent to both when running test application (power supplies both wake up and start suppling power) when it need to be send to one of them at the time of testing.

When I turn either one off I will get reading and on the VISA it will show the model and the serial number without any problem and the issue will show up again as soon as I turn both on, not sure what causing that because I have other set of the test setup exactly the same hardware and wiring but never have problem on it.

I tried to change the cables and reinstall the programs but still the same, I'm using GPIB-USB-HS

I'm running out of time and any help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,982 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author motony

Since they each work when the other is powered off, it sounds like you need to change the address on one of the machines.

Message 2 of 5
(2,945 Views)

Do you have an idea of how to change the address on the machine? the machine model number is Lambda GEN100-15

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,938 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author motony

Each GPIB instrument on the same bus should have its own unique address.  I'll bet both your PSUs are set to 6 at the factory, and when you have them both turned on the commands and replies get lost between the two instruments.

Set one PSU to another GPIB address.  You will need to look in the manual for how to do this; jumpers for old instruments, and front panel menus for newer ones.  Usually its best to separate instrument addresses by 2, thought that practice might out dated.   Next turn both on and check NI-MAX.  Do you see them both listed?  If not then perhaps there's more than an address issue.

Tip, once you change the GPIB address add a label on the front to remind you.  It makes life easier when you have multiples of one model lying around.  

Craig

Message 4 of 5
(2,937 Views)

I figured out how to set the GPIB address on the instrument, it's controlled from the front panel as you mentioned, now they both working and both showing on the NI MAX.

Really appreciate your help, thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,932 Views)