Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB interface self-test error -37051 shows in MAX

I have two on-board PCI and PCIe GPIB boards connected in one PC. The PC is running on Win7 Pro.

Using MAX application I run the self-test on both gpib boards. The PCI board self-test end correctly. The PCIe board gives an error message:

"An unknown NI-488.2 software problem has occurred. (-37051)"

I scanned the network for possible solution or more data and found nothing. There's one reference in the NI discussion forum about this error under the subject - "Self test error -37051 visa 488.2 USB GPIB interface" but this discussion trail remains unsolved.

Can anyone understand this error? What it means? Is there anything to do to fix the error?

P.S. I tried to RESET the gpib card using MAX on both Reset options and still the self-test shows the error.

Appreciate any help or support.

Thanks much

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,005 Views)

Hi Arik2017,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on the troubleshooting steps that you have done. Are you able to put the PCIe board in a different slot on the PC or in a different PC. These steps can help determine where the underlying problem is. It would also give the forum users more context to your situation.

Michael B.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,964 Views)

A few things to remember when trying to perform this.

1. Make sure all instrument cables are removed from the cards first.
  2. Ensure that they are not operating on the same base address (I.E. should be GPIB0 & GPIB1)
  3. Two GPIB busses cannot be the Controller-in-Charge (CIC) when they are connected.  One will automatically default to CIC while the other will become a listener Only
  4. A GPIB card can get locked-up if an instrument on the bus does not release the handshaking lines
Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,959 Views)

This is just a heads up for both MichaelB and 'Active Participant' -

Thanks your both replies. So in regards with troubleshooting that I did - using the MAX application I performed two kinds of RESET to the board and both ended successfully but the error is still there.

Other than that and with respect to Active Participant's comments it's all clear and I can assure that both boards are not on the same address, no cables were attached, neither of the two boards is the system controller and no handshaking with another card was in progress.

I will try to move the board to another PC since I only have one PCIe slot on the current PC. I'll keep you and the forum posted as for the results. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,953 Views)