From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS with PM100 Power Analyzer

Hi,

I'm new here and i have to use LabVIEW for my final year engineering project. I have to use Voltech PM100 Power Analyzer (with GPIB) with GPIB-USB-HS cable and to extract the value from the instrument. The problem is I can't seem to be able to connect with PM100 using *IDN? (using  Measurement and Automation). I got error "The device did not respond to a *IDN? query". Before anyone suggest that I change or get newer equipment, I dont have that luxury. And I have to use what had been given to me.

And is there any where I can get older version of LabVIEW to open the PM100/300 Labview driver? Or if anyone already try that because I can't use the PM100/300 instrument driver with a LabVIEW version 8.5.

Many Thanks,

Radi 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,202 Views)

The message probably just means that the instrument does not support the *IDN? command. Many old instruments do not.

If you want a driver updated, all you have to do is attach it to a question and ask for help.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,188 Views)

thanks for the reply. the problem is according to this article : https://www.voltech.com/support/kbarticle.asp?q=136&SL=83746e9n

i can send *idn? after following the setup instruction. So, is there anything else that i should check? I can't even connect via VISA. The website for my instrument is not really helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,183 Views)
Did you configure the GPIB controller per the instructions? It looks like each command needs to be terminated with a LF (hex 0A or \n).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,173 Views)

Hey Radi,

So from the information you have provided, I did a bit of research on the Voltech website, and I found the following article KnowledgeBase: Setting up a Hyper Terminal connection for testing comunications on PM3000A ,PM100, P...It states there that the device should respond to *IDN?. I agree with Dennis that it is most likely a problem with the termination. This information should be found in the manual for the PM100. 

Thanks

Sarah S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,156 Views)

HI all I need help from that.

Voltech PM100 and PM300 driver are missing from the site. could any one kindly offer a help to share me any relate vi files. I require it for log data in the meantime. billions thanks, appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,515 Views)

As this instrument is IEEE-488.2 compliant, it will understand the SCPI command set without the drivers.  Try sending your ID query again.

*IDN?\n

This time add the newline character to the end of the command/query.  You can use a very simple VISA interface like this when using SCPI commands.

LV2012 VISAwrc.png

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 7 of 9
(3,513 Views)

Thx Minions.

Thx for reply. However I had no SCPI command for this PM100 since I like to call out THD values (current&voltage) from the measurement. I try hard to get in web but still didn't found it. Did you have any relate info? Appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,510 Views)

Here is the programming manual that I found for this instrument.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,508 Views)