Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS with PM100 Power Analyzer

Hi,

I'm new here and i have to use LabVIEW for my final year engineering project. I have to use Voltech PM100 Power Analyzer (with GPIB) with GPIB-USB-HS cable and to extract the value from the instrument. The problem is I can't seem to be able to connect with PM100 using *IDN? (using  Measurement and Automation). I got error "The device did not respond to a *IDN? query". Before anyone suggest that I change or get newer equipment, I dont have that luxury. And I have to use what had been given to me.

And is there any where I can get older version of LabVIEW to open the PM100/300 Labview driver? Or if anyone already try that because I can't use the PM100/300 instrument driver with a LabVIEW version 8.5.

Many Thanks,

Radi 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,176 Views)

The message probably just means that the instrument does not support the *IDN? command. Many old instruments do not.

If you want a driver updated, all you have to do is attach it to a question and ask for help.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,162 Views)

thanks for the reply. the problem is according to this article : https://www.voltech.com/support/kbarticle.asp?q=136&SL=83746e9n

i can send *idn? after following the setup instruction. So, is there anything else that i should check? I can't even connect via VISA. The website for my instrument is not really helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,157 Views)
Did you configure the GPIB controller per the instructions? It looks like each command needs to be terminated with a LF (hex 0A or \n).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,147 Views)

Hey Radi,

So from the information you have provided, I did a bit of research on the Voltech website, and I found the following article KnowledgeBase: Setting up a Hyper Terminal connection for testing comunications on PM3000A ,PM100, P...It states there that the device should respond to *IDN?. I agree with Dennis that it is most likely a problem with the termination. This information should be found in the manual for the PM100. 

Thanks

Sarah S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,130 Views)

HI all I need help from that.

Voltech PM100 and PM300 driver are missing from the site. could any one kindly offer a help to share me any relate vi files. I require it for log data in the meantime. billions thanks, appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,489 Views)

As this instrument is IEEE-488.2 compliant, it will understand the SCPI command set without the drivers.  Try sending your ID query again.

*IDN?\n

This time add the newline character to the end of the command/query.  You can use a very simple VISA interface like this when using SCPI commands.

LV2012 VISAwrc.png

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 7 of 9
(3,487 Views)

Thx Minions.

Thx for reply. However I had no SCPI command for this PM100 since I like to call out THD values (current&voltage) from the measurement. I try hard to get in web but still didn't found it. Did you have any relate info? Appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,484 Views)

Here is the programming manual that I found for this instrument.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,482 Views)