Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS not running in RHEL6

I successfully installed the latest 488.2 package from the NI website in order to get my GPIB-USB-HS device working on my RHEL6 laptop.  I've searched forums for people with the same problem but can only find similar problems that don't fix my case. 

I attempt to open the gpibexplorer but it gives me the error:

libnipalu.so failed to initialize
Perhaps you need to run updateNIDrivers
Aborted (core dumped)

edit:  I have run updateNIDrivers which does install something and causes me to reboot.  After rebooting the same thing happens and asks me to run updateNIDrivers which installs the stuff the previous updateNIDrivers installed.

I've attached the niSystemReport like other users have done.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,919 Views)

Hi Jakeus,

Please take a look at the following table and make sure your driver 488.2 and linux 6 are compatible. Then the best solutions is trying to uninstall/reinstall the driver. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4857A755082E9E228625778900709661

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,886 Views)

So it looks like RHEL6 32-bit is supported by the 488.2 2.9.1 drivers, but after some looking around it seems that the drivers aren't compatible with systems that have 4+ GB of memory.  Although I have 4 GB of memory, I still had to force my kernel to use 4 GB of memory through my /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

Adding the line mem=4GB got it to boot, although nothing happens when I plug in the USB device.  Luckily I had the ethernet version as well and configuring that went fine.  I'd like to understand why the USB device didn't work though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,879 Views)

Please go through the readme file and make sure you follow the steps and requirement specially about kernel version.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2636/lang/en

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,871 Views)

Is there any plan to update the driver to work on newer kernels..... Kernel 3.0 was release almost 2 years ago.

I know that the USB restrictions change how the driver must be implemented, but it would be nice if we can use the NI GPIB USB-HS with more up to date computers.

Message 5 of 6
(3,810 Views)

Right now the latest version is NI-488.2 2.9.1. We might update the drivers in the future. 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,789 Views)