From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS+ hangs

Hi,

I am having an intermittent problem with a GPIB-USB-HS+. It hangs very occasionally in a call to VISA. The timeout on the call has already expired for a long time, so my first thoughts were that it's a driver issue. However, upgrading from the 2014 drivers to the latest ones did not help.

I have now replaced it with a GPIB-USB-HS (without +). So far it works well. Has anyone else seen this problem before, or am I just having a faulty device?

Best regards,

Joris

Rubytech,

Netherlands

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,591 Views)

I've had this sort of problem with the GPIB-USB-HS Win7 + Win10 when I haven't disabled the USB suspend settings disabled.  Here's how to disable USB suspend - https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

Its a real pain.  I moved from a WinXP to Win7 system and re used existing code that had run for years.  But it mysteriously failed at odd times.  I switched to a PCI GPIB card and it worked...that's when I started to blame the USB ports and found the solution.

Hope this helps.

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,567 Views)

Well, after the replacement of the GPIB-USB-HS+ with a GPIB-USB-HS not a single hang has occured since.

Best regards,

Joris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,542 Views)

I have the same problem with a GPIB-USB-HS+ as compared to a GPIB-USB-HS. 

The problem is "solved" if the NI I/O Trace is running at the background. 

Message 4 of 5
(3,035 Views)

What does this mean or how do you set up the "NI I/O Trace running in background"

The problem is "solved" if the NI I/O Trace is running at the background.

Same problem here.  GPIB-USB-HS always works but GPIB-USB-HS+ and GPIB-PCI will hang-up and not be responsive after 2-3 days.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,468 Views)