Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS+ hangs

Hi,

I am having an intermittent problem with a GPIB-USB-HS+. It hangs very occasionally in a call to VISA. The timeout on the call has already expired for a long time, so my first thoughts were that it's a driver issue. However, upgrading from the 2014 drivers to the latest ones did not help.

I have now replaced it with a GPIB-USB-HS (without +). So far it works well. Has anyone else seen this problem before, or am I just having a faulty device?

Best regards,

Joris

Rubytech,

Netherlands

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,543 Views)

I've had this sort of problem with the GPIB-USB-HS Win7 + Win10 when I haven't disabled the USB suspend settings disabled.  Here's how to disable USB suspend - https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

Its a real pain.  I moved from a WinXP to Win7 system and re used existing code that had run for years.  But it mysteriously failed at odd times.  I switched to a PCI GPIB card and it worked...that's when I started to blame the USB ports and found the solution.

Hope this helps.

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,519 Views)

Well, after the replacement of the GPIB-USB-HS+ with a GPIB-USB-HS not a single hang has occured since.

Best regards,

Joris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,494 Views)

I have the same problem with a GPIB-USB-HS+ as compared to a GPIB-USB-HS. 

The problem is "solved" if the NI I/O Trace is running at the background. 

Message 4 of 5
(2,987 Views)

What does this mean or how do you set up the "NI I/O Trace running in background"

The problem is "solved" if the NI I/O Trace is running at the background.

Same problem here.  GPIB-USB-HS always works but GPIB-USB-HS+ and GPIB-PCI will hang-up and not be responsive after 2-3 days.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,420 Views)