Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS crashes my laptop

Solved!
Go to solution

National Instruments device is a GPIB-USB-HS. PC is a Dell Latitude laptop, Windows 7 Professional, SP1, Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU, 2.20GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS. When this NI device is connected to this laptop, any attempt to talk to it (such as invoking Measurement & Automation Explorer and trying to communicate with it) causes the laptop to shut down to prevent hardware damage (unable to read entire message on blue screen before shut down). Have tried all three USB ports on the laptop, and have tried using a powered USB hub between NI device and the laptop; same result. Using NI488.2 V2.8.1 for Windows 7, 64 bit. Any clue as to what is happening?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,536 Views)

Has this device ever worked on this laptop? It does look like you have an older version of NI 488.2 driver. I recommend you update the driver by going here. If you are still having this problem, try the GPIB-USB-HS on another Windows 7 machine and see if you run into the same problem. 

Rohama K.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,520 Views)

This was the first time device connected to this laptop. Since 2.8.1 is latest on NI website, not sure where to get newer driver from.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,516 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,513 Views)

Updated to 3.0.2, no more crashes.

Message 5 of 6
(3,502 Views)
Solution
Accepted by KenLev

great!