Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS connected via Digitus Print server(DN-13018)

Hello everybody,

I wanted to connect a GPIB-USB-HS device from NI via a Digitus DN-13018 WLAN Printserver to my computer.

Here are the specifications of 

1)My operating system

Windows XP. service pack 3 (32 bit)

LabView 8.5

MAX Software 2.4 and 2.5(both tried)

2) the digitus print server:

Digitus DN-13018

WLAN, 2 USB ports, normal LAN possible.

Firmware: V2.5 (newest version)

Control software: V2.5  (newest version)

3) The GPIB-USB-HS:

As shown in NI products list.

Firmware: 2.4 and 2.5 tested, both with same result.

Now the problem:

If I connect the GPIB-USB-HS directly to the computer everything works fine. Also if I connect it via an USB hub.

If I connect other USB sdevices like a Mouse, an USB stick, or even another controller (for example a "mercury controller" from PI)

The connected devices works perfectly well via WLAN.

But if I connect the GPIB-USB-HS to the Digitus DN-13018, Windows is recognizing the GPIB-USB-HS and installing the drivers. But during the installation Windows aborts with this error message:

"Code 10. Device can not be activated."

After this I can not work with the device, it is not shown in the MAX software,it is marked as not correctly installed in the device manager and LabView is not able to send any request to the device.

If somebody has any experience with the combination of GPIB-USB-HS and Digitus DN-13018, or any idea why it is not working, please let me know.

Thanks and best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,064 Views)

If I understood you right, you trying to use the Digitus in "NetUSB" mode to connect your USB-GPIB over WLAN to your PC.

And NetUSB just emulates a additional USB port on the PC so that the USB device attached to the  Digitus looks like a device attached locally to that virtual USB-port.

I think you just did hit some limitation of that NetUSB implementation. Maybe a bug. Or some special timing requirement of the USB-GPIB, that principally cannot be fulfilled by  NetUSB. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,029 Views)

Hello Markus,

I tried it exactly as you said.

I hope there is a solution to this bug. I already conntacted NI support and they sent me the specifications for  their USB requirements. I ' ll contact  Digitus and try to find out if they match this specifications with their NetUSB mode.

Sadly Digitus provides only a webfrontend to enter support requests. I tried it two times already. Neither of both requests was answered after more than two weeks.

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,009 Views)

Have you received any response from Digitus with regard to this issue? They seem to specifically state a few classes of devices that they expect to work with their hardware, do they claim broader support for any USB hardware?

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,861 Views)

Hello Jason,

Unfortunatly I have to say that Digitus did not react to my mails at all.

The only way to contact them is a webside were you can sent them your servicerquest. The webside tell you that any service request sent to any email adress beside this front end will be ignored. Telephonesupport is not  available.

You are told that it "may take some time" until they reply, but a whole month is not OK in my opinion.

At least a "we have received your request and working on it" mail would have been nice.

But enough of my communication problems (;-)):

In the manual of the DN13018 it says that the device is made for printer support originally. But other devices like mice or even a DC motorcontroller by PI did work fine with the system. Have you found a list of devices supported by the DN13018?

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,850 Views)