Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-B / GPIB-USB-HS Differences

I currently have a GPIB-USB_B which is now faulty is a GPIB-USB-HS fully compatible with new drivers or are there any working differences.

I use it to talk to some R&S equipment.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,806 Views)

HS (high speed) is newer and faster than B and A versions, however it's fully compatible.

I believe it's the only one currently sold by NI.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,783 Views)

Swapping the GPIB device from the -B to the _HS should pose no problems.  The Rhodes-Schwarts gear I've seen in the past has not operated in the GPIB-HS mode so you may not see the increased speed you would expect.  The HS standard does automatically revert to act like a low-speed GPIB bus when it detects that the equipment on the bus is not HS compliant.

In this specific instance the only thing you should notice is that the bus starts working after replacing the faulty unit.

As an asside- remember to read the users manual "connecting equipment" section and, assure yourself that the bus equipment is grounded to the same point as the controller BEFORE connecion to the bus.  This simple step will prevent future damage to your new controller.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,778 Views)

The HS in GPIB-USB-HS actually stands for High-Speed USB, not HS488. The primary difference between the two is that the GPIB-USB-B was USB Full-Speed, which limited the throughput of the device. Even using traditional (non-HS488) GPIB transfers, the GPIB-USB-HS is still faster due to the higher USB performance. You may or may not notice the difference in your application, depending on the instruments you are connecting to.

-Jason S.

Message 4 of 6
(5,765 Views)

Thanks for all your help

I will be ordering a new GPIB-USB-HS

Tim  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,669 Views)

I need to buy an GPIB-USB-B controller. What I have been reading is that the GPIB-USB-HS is similar to the -B version. I use this controller to  connect my windows XP machine to an STATIMAT equipment. Do you think the -HS version can work?

Thank you,
Sofia 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,180 Views)