Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB/Solartron 1250

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I looking for some information on extracting a data file from the solartron 1250 Analyser.The file bascially is a frequency sweep of 99 points. I am communicating with the Solartron via the NI GPIB/488.2 card.

I can successfully communicate between the Solartron and the GPIB using Labview and the default GPIB.vi template within Labview.Also using NI VISA interactive control allows me to communicate sucessfully.

Communication via the GPIB.vi or VISA enables me to read the first line/point of the data file created from the frequency sweep on the Solartron.I can output the results of first line/point of the frequency sweep to a txt file using the viReadtofile within VISA Interactive control.However I cannot output all of the points of the sweep to a txt file at once.

If I scroll to the next point/line on the solartron, I can read that point using the GPIB.vi and with VISA Interactive Control, write that to a txt file.

However as mentioned I cannot output all of the points of the sweep to a txt file at once.

Does VI need to be modified to read all of the points on the solartron. Can this be achieved easily? Is there VI solution for extracting all points from the solartron data file?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,409 Views)

Just to clear up the grammar on the original post above, the question(s) being asked are:

Does the vi, (that is the GPIB.vi) need to be modified to read all of the points on the solartron data file or is there a vi solution that someone may have created for extracting all points from the solartron data file?Has anyone come across the issue of data extraction via Labview in the situation described?

There is no issue with communication ie EOI, Cr etc and all communication switches are correctly set and the buffer is loaded with data for extraction which leads to the conclusion, that there is way to extract all of the data at once.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,390 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shionn

Hi

this is old stuff compiled to version 8 so readable up to lv2010

maybe you like it.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,379 Views)

Hi

Thank you for the Vi's

All the Vi's work great with the solartron, except the control vi.It writes the settings to the solartron through the vi with no errors but when it trys to read the data to apply it to the graphs , I keep getting a timeout error  "timeout expired before operation completed" (VI_ERROR_TMO) .

I've increased the Timeout attribute with VISA but I still receive the error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,373 Views)

Did you check that the measurement itself was finished?

Some measurements can take a long time with low frequencies.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,370 Views)

Hi

The measurement finished ok I know that because I'm using Ni-spy to track the reads and writes and its indicating the error on the read as timeout expired.I 've also reduced the sweep right down so the data expected is low

Suggestion is; I can write and the solartron takes the settings but when I try to read, it fails on a timeout.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,369 Views)

Hi Shionn,

Is it possible for you to upload your VI and NI-spy log for me to take a look at?

Thanks,

Stephen C
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,323 Views)

Hi stephen

I got it up and running, the issue seemed to sit with memory, I cleared out anything the solartron was storing and ran the vi and the control.vi populated the graphs.

I can now read and write to the solartron.  I can manipulate the control vi to get the information I need

Thanks

(Thanks to Albert for th originally vi's)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,317 Views)

can you post the updates you made?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,272 Views)

Hi

I'll post the updates and Vi, when its fully completed for others to use.

No problem.

Message 10 of 11
(4,252 Views)