From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-ENET/100 works in MAX but cannot reconfigure IP Address

I have been having a very frustrating problem happening with my GPIB-ENET/100.  I can connect to the device and communicate with instruments but I need to change the IP address of the unit.  The ethernet configuration utility cannot find the device, even  though I am in the same sub domain and can ping the device with no issue. (yes I am using a crossover cable)

Also, MAX will not let me delete the device.  The option to delete is greyed out.  This has happened with more than one unit now.

I tried a factory reset on one unit, but now I cannot connect to it via a crossover cable, as it defaults to DHCP mode.  

Please give me some better hints at a solution than the manual.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,133 Views)

Hi ir0nspyder,

To delete grayed out devices, navigate to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager>Data Acquisition Devices and delete your device from there. You can then reinstall it, and it should reappear in MAX.

DHCP is the default mode of newly installed GPIB ENET/100 devices. To set a static IP address, follow the instruction in step 12 of this KB:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C7F73559653B2C5686256E6100709D5D?OpenDocument

Let us know if you have further questions!

Regards,

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,103 Views)

The big problem is that the device does not show up in the list no matter what I do... meaning I cannot re-configure it. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,101 Views)

Device manager has no listing for it either... NI Max says the device is "present" even when it is not plugged in.  I get the same result with 2 different machines, and 2 different GPIB controllers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,100 Views)

Hi ir0nspyder,

Is your GPIB-ENET/100 attached to your computer when you try to delete it? Make sure it is not connected when you try to delete it.

If that does not work, let's try generating a MAX technical report (File>Create Report, and select Technical support report). If the following steps don't work, please attach that report to your reply.

1. Which version of MAX are you using? Have you tried updating to the most current version? You should be able to download the most recent version at ni.com/downloads.

2. Try repair installing MAX in Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features>National Instruments Software.

3. Export your current MAX configuration (in MAX, go to File>Export).

4. Reset the MAX configuration database as described here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C7480E856987FFF862573AE005AB0D9

5. Reboot your computer

6. Try to get the GPIB-ENET/100 to connect to MAX as described in my previous post

Let us know whether this solves the problem. Resetting your MAX configuration database will delete any tasks and devices you have from MAX, which is why we suggest exporting your MAX configuration data before resetting the database. That said, if you import your previous configuration back into MAX after resetting the configuration database, it may bring back in the GPIB device in the weird state where it won't let you delete it. If you don't have any tasks in MAX and don't mind reinstalling any other devices you have, this should not be a problem.

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,079 Views)

@ir0nspyder wrote:

I have been having a very frustrating problem happening with my GPIB-ENET/100.  I can connect to the device and communicate with instruments but I need to change the IP address of the unit.  The ethernet configuration utility cannot find the device, even  though I am in the same sub domain and can ping the device with no issue. (yes I am using a crossover cable)

I tried a factory reset on one unit, but now I cannot connect to it via a crossover cable, as it defaults to DHCP mode.  

Also, MAX will not let me delete the device.  The option to delete is greyed out.  This has happened with more than one unit now.

The easiest way to reconfigure the device is to delete it from MAX, then re-add it to the system using the GPIB Ethernet Wizard. When you are adding the device, it will ask you if you want to use the current settings on the device, where you can answer no and change them.

To delete your existing device, you will need to right-click on the MAX icon and choose "Run as Administrator." This is going to give you access to all the grayed-out options, such as Delete. The GPIB-ENET/100 never appears in Device Manager, so it cannot be deleted there.

If you are having trouble discovering the device, please check your firewall settings. You could try disabling the Windows firewall on your network port just while you do your discovery and configuration across the local cable. Once you have the device configured and added as desired, you can re-enable the firewall. It will not interfere with the use of the device, only its discovery and configuration.

As for MAX saying the device is present even when you have turned it off, this is happening because the GPIB-ENET/100 is really more of a "virtual device" from the perspective of the computer. It is only reflecting that the computer has been told the GPIB-ENET/100 is there, and isn't going out to check its live status before telling you that it is present.

-Jason Smith

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,918 Views)