Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Communication with Lakeshore VSM

Hello, I am trying to communicate via GPIB to a Lakeshore 7300 VSM. I am using NI-VISA to send commands for testing communication in real time. Unfortunately, none of the commands I send are working. I have tried querying with *IDN?, but the response always times out. Any help or documents on how to use GPIB to communicate with this device would be very much appreciated. Also, if someone could provide an example command with exact syntax to use in VISA for testing purposes, that would be very helpful as well. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,711 Views)
The manual says you also need to terminate the command with a cr/lf. Are you doing that?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,695 Views)

I have been trying, but I am not really certain how to include that in the command...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,691 Views)

You just need to concatinate an End Of Line constant.  In the example below, notice that the botton string constant has the display set to '\ codes'

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,682 Views)
And \r is a carriage return. The constants are also on the string palette.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,676 Views)

I am trying to communicate with the gpib instrument directly through NI MAX (the communication tool - i think NI-VISA?). I have been using the carriage return character. I have also tried using labview to communicate. Although the write functions seem to be sending to the instrument. I cannot read any data. I keep receiving a timeout error. I am wondering if maybe I need to somehow reset the GPIB to read instead of write before trying to read the query?

Furthermore, although the device receives write messages, it does not seem to be responding or changing settings accordingly. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,665 Views)

jfherrm wrote:

Furthermore, although the device receives write messages, it does not seem to be responding or changing settings accordingly. 

That just screams your are not sending your commands properly.  Can you post the VI you have been using?

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,654 Views)
Please send the command with the cr/lf as noted in the manual and in my answer. That means in MAX to append \r\n.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,651 Views)

When you say in MAX, do you mean in the NI-VISA communication box, or in the real-time command box? I tried the \r\n, but the command still did not elicit a response from the machine. Would you be able to give me an exact command (with exact syntax) that should give me a response? That way I can see exactly what I am doing wrong (I'm new to gpib communication).

Also, my computer has a PCIe-GPIB+ card (IEEE 488.2), but I am nearly certain the VSM only has an IEEE 488 card. Is it possible that communication between the two different cards is not possible because one is newer than the other? (maybe a different communication protocol?)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,618 Views)

In Max, select the instrument under the GPIB interface and hit the "Communicate with this Instrument".  Now for a querry, try putting in "ADDR?\r\n".  The instrument should respond with its GPIB address.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,612 Views)