From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB 488 to 488.2

Hello,

I Have a test bench using a GPIB card runing into a PC with 286 processor.
I need to upgrade the computer of the test bench. For that I have buy a compteur with Windows XP and a PCI-GPIB 488.2 ref 778032-01
The GPIB is associate to multimeter and Mux card.

1/ With Max Software, all instruments are detected.
2/ I Have try to dialog with the multimeter => Order and Measurment are OK
3/ I Have try to dialog with the Mux card
 => If I send an Order => a LED is switch ON that mean it's OK
 but : the Mux device display an Error status in his front panel.
=> If I  send an measurement => same result.
I'm sure that my string order  is correct.

I need to Know :
- If I Can use a 488.2 driver to dialog with a 488.0 device
- Why I Can't find driver 488.0 driver for my GPIB card
- If I Can find GPIB using directly 488.0 protocol
- How can I analyse the GPIB messages : When I Load the GPIB analyser an error message is displayed : "Missing Card Error : Supported GPIB+ interface not find"

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,167 Views)
Hi,

to use GPIB Analyzer software you need a PCI GPIB+ card. If you only have a PCI GPIB card, you cannot use this software.

Have you tried to send the same string to your mux card with MAX? Same result?

As far as I understand, your multimeter is 488.2 compliant and your mux card isn't.

488 protocol is just hardware whereas 488.2 defines format and structure of the message you're sending over the GPIB bus.
Maybe you have to define how the mux card protocol is defined in order to see if it is 488.2 compatible???

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,162 Views)
To dialog with the Mux card I use Max software.

When I see the datasheet of my Mux device, I only find GPIB 488 : there is no other informations....

This one, have no switches to compute for example from one protocol to one other...

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,154 Views)

There is not going to be a way for you to update to 488.2. A 488.2 controller is compatible with older versions anyway.

You said that there is an error message/code on the instrument. The manual should explain what that code means. Have you experimented at all with the 488.2 timing settings of the controller? You can adjust those in MAX. You can also psecify the termination. New instruments just require that EOI be asserted. Older instruments might also require another character such as a CR or LF. You can set the controller to add those as well.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,150 Views)

I think Dennis is on the right track.

There aren't supposed to be any electrical incompatibilities between your old card and new card.  There also shouldn't be any differences with the data being transferred over the bus, assuming you are configure the cards the same way.

The most likely difference is timing.  We've seen a lot of older GPIB instruments that can only consume commands so fast--if you try to send the commands too quickly, they will give errors.

There are many ways to affect the timing... even to the point of putting delays in your code to account for the problems with the instrument firmware.

Brian

Message Edited by Brian Powell on 05-15-2008 09:51 AM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,131 Views)
Hello,

To understand why my Mux device display in his Front panel an error, I have use an GPIB anlyser GPIB-410.

This is the data generate by my old GPIB card :
'?'   EOI ATN SRQ
'4'   LA20
'@'   
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,081 Views)
Hello,

To understand why my Mux device display in his Front panel an error, I have use an GPIB anlyser GPIB-410.

'?'   EOI ATN SRQ
'4'   LA20
'@'       
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,081 Views)

Hello,

To understand why my Mux device display in his Front panel an error (LED), I have use an GPIB analyser GPIB-410.
The problem is that, when my Mux device display this error, it is not possible to send a new command. I have to swtich off the device.

'?'   EOI   ATN SRQ
'4'   LA20
'@'   TA0
‘@’   ATN
‘1’   DAB
‘ ‘   DAB
‘Y’   DAB
‘5’   DAB 
';'   DAB
CR    DAB
LF    DAB   EOI
LF          EOI ATN
LF          EOI

For information MY DEVICE ORDER string is : 1 Y1;

I want to generate those data in GPIB bus : '?' '4' '@' '@' 'MY DEVICE ORDER' CR LF LF LF

I program with LabView 8.2. Is it possible to build this message ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,075 Views)
continued here
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,040 Views)